Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vent Tube Broke Off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Nov 2, 2004.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

The vent tube broke off the rear diff. in my friends 85 chev 4X4 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    It sheared off flush with the diff.
    How does a guy repair this problem as it is no good to leave it open for water to get in.
    How are these things put in the diff.? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

rust must have gotten the best of it. I think they are originally pressed in. But either way, the cheapest easiest fix is gonna be to insert a tube of a smaller diameter, and seal the fitment with RTV. It only needs to breath a little, not flow, so you should be fine.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Drill it out and thread it to 1/4 NPT

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When I get around to it , I am tapping my project truck for a 1/4 inch fitting with threads on top , and I have 120 inch stainlees hoses ( icemaker connect to home ) at my work to run . they are rated continously for over 125 psi , so they should last forever on here . And I am also tapping the cage for this so it will run from axle to cage /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Drill it out and thread it to 1/4 NPT

[/ QUOTE ]
    in the 14ff the hole is already the right size for a 1/4 NPT tap, on the 60, (and on the 1/2 stuff to it think)the hole is smaller i used a 3/8 NC tap and a barb fitting. diddent have to drill eaither housing. some people will say not to use a regular( non NPT) fittin, but i was happy with it and no leaks at all. so this is what i would recomend

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

That Happened to me. I took a screw extractor and got the rest of the old piece out. drilled & tapped out for an air hose fitting and hooked up a coiled air hose to it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif