Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vent Tubes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nau81blazer, Feb 5, 2005.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if it matters how long you make your vent tubes? Do they require some sort of specific length or can I run them as high as I want? Thanks for the info.

--Adam

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

As long as they can breathe, run 'em as high as you want. When the time comes I'll be runnin all of mien to the firewall. I did that to my last truck and put on some cheapie clear plastic fuel filters, worked awesome.

3. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the info.

--Adam

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Run them as high as you can get them if you do any water crossings or things of that nature. Last weekend I was in about 3 feet of water crossing the Agua Fria and luckily my vents were high enough. I checked both the tcase and rear diff this weekend and they were water free. I still need to check the front diff though.

Harley

5. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

run them as high as you plan to ford the rig, as high aas your air intake goes.

6. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Vent Tubes on the axles

Hello,
    Where are the Vent Tubes located?
    Thanks
    Adam

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

located top side of everything, top of trans, top of case, top of axle diffs- or on an axle tube top side, sometimes its just a hole in the case, sometimes a short stubby valve with loose cap on it, and sometimes a black rubber hose and all, or a short tube of white nylon tube, it varies over the years for different components

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have pulled the 700 a couple times and never seen one. Probably because i wasn't looking.... do you know if the 700r4 have one?

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As high as you can , if you have a cage , vent then into that and have a hole at the highest point .

For the front get rid of the connection on the front crossmember where it joins two hoses and run one long one :)

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

It's on the top of the case about midway back the trans. Usually a little tiny plastic tube or if your lucky a metal tube. The plastic ones usually break off.

On a side note if you ever rebuild a trans or buy a rebuilt have them tap the hole for a pipe fitting then you can put a decent hose on it. There is plenty of room for tapping there so dont let them talk ya out of it for that reason.

Another simple thing to help with keeping water out of vent tubes is to make the vent point downward when complete so water has to travel up the tube before going down in to the trans, axle, transfer whatever it is your working with. Basically and upside down "U" with the hose and then put your filter on there still.