Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vent window options--did a search, nothing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Dec 8, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok so I locked my keys in my K5 yesterday. I called campus police and they came out to unlock it and by the time I got done filling out the incident report he had already stuck this rod trough my vent window weatherstripping trying to unock it through the vent window. Long story short after I told him to use a slim jim on the door lock I got my keys out. Now the vent window weatherstripping is all tore up and whistles really bad, not to mention my door is scratched up as well from the rod he shoved in there. How hard is it to replace that weatherstripping and is there a kit somewhere that elimiates the vent window?

Thanks
    Ross

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I would see about the campus police getting it fixed

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

take it to a body shop and get an estimate
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Either go buy new stuff or go to the junkyard and get one. You'll have to skin your door and remove the window glass. You'll probably end up removing the window regulator and all the weatherseal as well.

I can't believe the campus police were that stupid. I guess that's why college kids everywhere say "hello Mr. Security Guard" when they see one. They would have had better luck trying to stick the rod in around the door. I hope the guy was young and not old.

Usually they have two tools, a slimjim and a nylon piece they use for the door locks that you push down on instead of pull up like our trucks.

It takes me less than a minute to open my door with a slimjim (which is conveniently stuck to my frame with magnets) but that's because I know where the lock rod is. I keep a key outside my truck anyway.

I've seen our trucks with the wings eliminated but it was parked at a glass shop downstate probably 5 years ago. I imagine they just found a piece of glass about the same size and with similar curve to it and cut it to fit. Our glass has a compound curve to it though. It not only curves top to bottom but from left to right.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You can get the vent glass seal from LMC, among other, for around $25. That's the good news...the bad is that the whole vent assembly has to come out to replace the seal. Not a major deal, but a pain none the less. There is no conversion to eliminate the vent window. This was a hot topic awhile back on the 2WD forum. A few of us tried tracking down info on some we have seen on show trucks....seems they were "one-offs" with plexiglass windows.

There used to be a long thread on this somewhere on here, but I've just spen t 30 minutes looking and I can't find it anywhere!!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A lot of the late 70's early 80's mid size 4 door GM cars (malibu's, cutlaii, etc) have broken wing windows, and apparently you can fit a piece of plexiglass in there that replaces it.

I'd go to GM first for the seal, those seals in particular are a nightmare to get to seal well, have yet to be impressed by aftermarket weatherstripping in any location.