Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vent window removal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5DT, Aug 8, 2005.

1. 88K5DT

88K5DT Registered Member

On my 88 K5 blazer I need to put new weather stripping in my vent window. I removed my door panel to access the spring and nut which holds my vent window in place. There is only about a 2" square hole in the inside of the door where I can barely fit a wrench in to loosen the nut. It seems there is no easy way to remove this nut.

Does anyone know how to remove the vent window?

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

yes... I just finshed doing mine tonight
    1) remove door panel
    2) vent window has to come out... I doubt you can access the bolt without doing so
    3) Undo the following that attach the vent window;
    screw ..top of door
    screw.. leading edge of door
    screw,,, inner panel.. theres an access hole just below the inner gasket... use a flashlight and youll see it
    bolt... lower bracket... about halfway down the door towards the front.. holds the lower bracket in place... use a flashlight to look down inside the dorr youll see it
    4) Pull vent backwards from the top... usually they are tight and you have to squeeze the rail slightly to get it past the sheetmetal and get it started
    5)Rotate the lower bracket as you pull upward... the main glass should come out of the frame ,, you will need to peel the felt back,,, good time to replace it if it needs it... keep pulling backwards and upwards until you can get it out... it isnt easy and might take a couple of tries to get it out the right angle

do your repair... replace...

this is in chiltons and haynes in the body section,,, they might be helpful

it was a pita

cam

3. 88K5DT

88K5DT Registered Member

thanks!

4. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

It was such a PITA when I did the drivers side, I quit and never did the passenger side.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

suk job...

I tried saving the vent windows off some junk doors before I junked them,so I could put them in my 82 K20--the vent winow's frames rotted away on the 82,,so I figured I'd save the ones off the junk doors to install on the 82 K20...but after a half hour struggle,I finally got ONE vent window out,and pooched the rubber and part of the metal bracketry... :mad:

I got so aggravated,I said to hell with removing the other one,I just tossed the doors onto the junk pile!...didn't save the window glass either,because I heard 1973 glass is thicker than the newer 80's trucks are,and wont interchange...so I saved the semi-rotted doors from my 74 K20 I scrapped,if need be I'll throw the whole door(s) on,screw messing around trying to put windows in rotted patched up doors..more than I can handle.. :mad:I just siliconed both vent windows shut permanently!..and removed the handles so no one can open them,and put "vent window locks" on them!.. :crazy:

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

So it wasnt just me that didnt enjoy this... I scratched my window tint even though I was as careful as i could be ... and used wife help (which we all know is the last resort because you can no longer swear freely at chevy engineers)

Ok in all ernest... the first one was hard the second came off without a hitch....because I knw the "trick" but the rear fixed windows in the crew were just plain a pisser

cam

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

"used wife help (which we all know is the last resort because you can no longer swear freely at chevy engineers)"

:haha: How completely true is that! My ex would end up nearly in tears listening to my ranting! In her words "I can't believe how mean you are to your truck, are you going to yell at our kids like that?" :haha: :haha: