Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vent Window Replacement Q?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Mar 11, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

OK, Locked my keys in lastnight...now I need to replace the vent window...it broke :( I need as much help/advise/suggestions/hints/diagrams etc.!!! I have a replacement window from and '83 Mines and '86...just need to know what to do and whaat tools I'll need...Thanks people!!!!

2. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Mine has been broke for 2 years, I curious myself.

Building for Balls not Beauty

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is your replacement vent window have the front window track attached to it (if it does it will be very long)? Or is it just the window? Or is it the glass with the metal frame? If it's just the glass, remove all the old glass and just glue the new one in.

If it's the glass & metal frame, and/or the entire assembly you need to pull out the entire old assembly.

Pull off your door panel (screwdrivers), and you will expose two small bolts at the top and about halfway down that hold the front window track in unbolt these, and also the 3 screws along the door frame - one is at the very top of the door (apex of the vent window), and the other two are at the front of the door. Once these are removed, roll down your window all the way (if it's not already) and pull out the entire vent window assembly. You'll probably have to turn the assembly 90 degrees (rotating the front of the vent window toward you) and pull it out through the space between your open door and the cab

From there, drill out the "pivot rivet" at the front of the window, and also remove the bottom nut that holds the tension spring (don't lose any parts!) From there reassemble - I used stainless rivets to replace the old rivet - aluminum seemed like an invitation for theft - then reassemble the whole thing...

Anymore questions just post....

4. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Try to replace the entire vent with the frame. If you cant, clean out the track on the broken one, pull the glass out of the other ones frame and use black silicone to install the glass into the frame. Wipe off excess silicone with a damp rag or razor. I have done this 3 different times in 3 different vehicles.

One From None