Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vent Window Seal Replacement...Who's done it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Esteban86K5, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Vent Window Seal Replacement...Who\'s done it?

Well I ordered my new vent window seals from Lmc and they came today. My question is, how do I replace them? I ordered them before I took them off the truck and now I'm trying to figure out whether or not I have to remove the glass form the entire frame. That is what it looks like to me, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks in advance.

BE <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue> BUY <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue>!!!!

So Cal Big Dawgs are coming to a wheeling spot near you!!

2. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Re: Vent Window Seal Replacement...Who\'s done it?

You need to take the assembly out of truck.
    drill out rivet on upper hinge
    remove nut and spring on lower pivot stud.
    that will get the vent out of the frame.
    replace rubbers
    reverse directions to put vent back in frame
    the rivet can be a b!tch if you dont have the right tool.

In theory everything works

3. Esteban86K5

That's what i was afraid of. Can't I just use a bolt instead of the rivet when I put them back together? Something with like a nylock nut so that it can turn freely but won't loose the nut?

BE <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue> BUY <font color=blue>AMERICAN</font color=blue>!!!!

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Yea you can do that. It'll look like poo, but it will work. I know there is a trick you can do with a pair of vice grips and a small socket. It sort of works. Fortunatly I have the tool to do those rivets. You can always put it all together, and then run it down to a glass shop and have them do the rivets. If their cool they'll do it for free.

In theory everything works

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I did it and I can say " i wont do it again"... it was the biggest PIA I have done so far ....to say the least!! good luck!

Brandy

HELP!!!!! I need 16.5x 12 rims -------please please please!!!!!

oh, still LOVING the new dmax as well!

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

what makes it so hard?
    mine are leaking and i was thinking that would be my next projectafte this weekend

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

yes but whats a bigger PIA-- the wind whistling and making noise while you're driving or the actual replacement...

mine leak and man it makes me wanna go postal sometimes. especially on those long trips to the desert.. I did replace the door window felts already and that made a huge difference...

esteban: just wanted to say hi :) .. unfortunately I wont be at TDS.. but man all this talk I hear of it is really making me jealous.. maybe next year? or should I say- definately next year... that truck I brought to the desert is getting torn down TODAY. Im taking it to the shop in about 30 mins and a kid that Im giving a lot of parts to is going to help me... *sigh* its gonna be sad to see the old girl go. but you should see the other truck im building up! wow. Ill post pics soon

mike

8. Esteban86K5

I hear what your saying about the whistling while driving. That is exactly why I'm doing mine. Plus I figured,it's already out of the truck(because I'm painting it) so it'll be just that much easier.

I'm still not sure if I'm gonna be at TDS this year. The truck is sitting on rims and is pretty much stripped down right now. I should be spraying the paint today and hopefully getting it back together by Friday. I still have the zero rate add-a-leafs to put in, piant and instll a new(to me) front bumper, install and wire a new cb and a host of other minor things. Which includes dealing with those vent windows.[​IMG] I'll post pics of the completed project soon too. Hopefully from TDS!![​IMG]