Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vent Window Whistling; How Have You Fixed? Help..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr Red, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Driver's vent window whistles. Wanted to pay someone but was given estimate of $200 for labor only, due to labor shortage for glass techs in our area. Thus, reckon I gotta do it myself...

- Is there an easy fix? Something that swells up the seal enough (e.g. liq. silicone) but doesn't look like an idiot tried to fix it w/o knowing what they were doing?

- If you've done a replacement - gasket or whole vent glass unit - a review of what you encounted and tools that may not be obvious until you get into it would be greatly appreciated.

I understand getting into this and replacing either the unit or the glass is a super pain. It was suggested to me by the glass shop to replace the entire unit. I think the point was that if just the gasket is replaced it may not fix it and you may as well replace it as a unit so you don't have to go into the whole mess again.

Thanks for the help,
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

There's 2 really easy ways to fix it that I know of - The first is what I use, I've got a scratch lottery ticket folded up and stuck behind the latch which works really well and only cost a buck. The other easy way is to replace the spring washer on the latch. Usually the washer is worn out and the seals are still fine. I've replaced the seals on one before, and it took about 3 hours per side to get the vent assembly out. I'd try the spring first before messing with the seals.

3. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

instead of using the lottery tickett, i use coins! Preferably a dime or nickel. A dime usually works but if it still whistles, use a nickel. A 30 second fix and it only costs a dime! Can't beat a deal like that! Oh and i use the nickel and dime because it blends with the chrome behind the latch.

baldbandit

4. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Match book.....and they're free if you work it right.

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    <font color=blue>does anyone have another F#@d that I can park on?</font color=blue>[​IMG]
    <font color=red><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.chucks81k5.coloradok5.com</A></font color=red>

5. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    mine are sealed all the way around, and the glass is plexi glass. It makes i t harder to break in, but I cant open them anymore.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

6. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Here is my fix

I had that priblem bad. I don't think trying to push the glass harder against the gasket really works. thus i would not use a coin, matchbook, whatever ealse. I got a roll of all purpuse automotive gasket. Measure it and cut it into thin strips and apply. Stops any air from getting inside, and looks great. By looking great, i mean you can not even tell it is there. I have only had one of my friends really pick up on it and he agreed it did not look ghetto. Only thing is I do not plan to open the vents because I'm afriad I mess up whatever I did right and start getting air leking in. I can post some pics if you want.

7. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Re: Here is my fix

that would be cool. mine does the same thing. post some pics!!

baja surf nazi

8. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Re: Here is my fix

Peetah, I think you're on to something. Post some picks! I think I'm follow'n yah but picks would seal [hehehe] the deal .... If post'n 'em is difficult, you can email 'em to: dwhisman@home.com.

thanks,
    [​IMG]

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I used a penny, use a nickel, and it starts to add up!!!!

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I installed a set of Ventvisors. Cut the whistling down, but didn't eliminate it. No problems offroad, they didn't snag any branches or anything. Plus, now I can crack the windows in the rain and not get soaked. Since I don't use the vents, I'm going to figure out a way to permanently secure the window latches, then use black Permatex sealant and run a bead all around the window to seal it and smooth the airflow.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

i have seen this done. If someone was to take their time and apply the silicone very liberaly it could probably be done to where nobody would ever know. All the ones i have seen done was done very poorly, and looked awful!
    Just my .02!

baldbandit

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I always thought the whistling was just part of owning a GM truck. My fix is just turn the radio up some more.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

13. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

I use a partial pad of post-it-notes, which also comes in handy when I am looking to write on something.

14. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Are you sure the noise is coming from the vent window? I have a wind noise also, but it seems to me that it's coming from the door seal near the windshield. I know that there is a little play in the hinges. One of these days I'll replace the pins and see what happens. I figure that everyone pushing off the armrest to help themselves get in and out of the truck has caused the hinges to bend and / or wear out.

15. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm sure it's the vent window making the noise. When you open the vent, the whistling stops. I've been think'n about what Jarhead mentions. I might give that a shot before tearing into this thing but I also like the idea of weatherstripping mentioned earlier; like to see pics though.

[​IMG]

16. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Sparky, Did you do this yourself? Do you have any pics? I would love to get rid of my theif windows.

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think that my fix may have been similar to Peetah's. I added a strip of black stripping along the back edge of the vent window. However, that was not enough. I had to partially remove the seal around the main door windows and seal them back in with black silicone (in where you can't see it in the window guide). Even after I had fixed the vent window seal, air was coming in from behind the vent and sneaking around the main window seal and into the cab. The best way to pinpoint these things is with a piece of rubbing tubing or a stethoscope with an open tube end. Just be careful driving while troubleshooting unless you have access to a wind tunnel. When I first got the Jimmy, you were lucky to ever hear the engine over the wind noise, but I guess 13 years in Arizona is going to take it's toll on the seals. After new door seals, new window seals and a dab of silicone or stripping hear and there, I 'm down to nothing but V-8, tires and the stereo. That stinkin' noise takes it toll on your patience on any kind of a long trip.

<font color=blue>5-lugs: The sign of true weakness.</font color=blue>

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My dad had an 86 or 87 diesel Suburban for a long time. He never used the vents, and had no problems. Then he had to break into his truck (locked his keys in 400mi from home) once, used the vent as access, and couldn't get them to stop whistling after that. He finally went with Ventvisors and the black silicone, and that cured most of it. That's why I got the Ventvisors, and will eventually seal the vents shut.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

19. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Mr Red, Sounds like you're getting some great suggestions. One I haven't hear yet is take your top off! I guarantee you wouldn't hear the vent whistle then! jk! Good luck w/ the solution.
    Ressurection.

You can't beat going Topless!

20. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Just a short note...J.C. Whitley sells replacement seals for the vent windows...as a set I think, but maybe not. They were pretty cheap, something like 20 or 30 dollars. And they aren't that hard to replace.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!