Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Venting at BesTop regarding the status of a Supertop for our rigs...!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyUp, Feb 7, 2003.

1. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

Good day,

I just wanted to share an email thread I sent to BesTop today regarding the status (or lack thereof) of this company coming out with a Supertop four our 1st generation rigs. This is the first email of this sort I have sent to anybody and perhaps I went a little overboard. However, it's frusterating to keep getting told different things from different folks when they are all working for the same company. anyway....

To whom it may concern,

Many of us (potential BesTop cusotmers) have and continue to wait for BesTop to come out with a Supertop for our 1st generation (1969 - 1972)Blazers and Jimmys. What is the status of this top, the real status that is (please see below)?

Many 1st generation Blazer/Jimmy owners feel we have and continue to get the run-around by your organization, some of us for 9-months. I have repeatedly called to get updates on the status of this softtop and hear that it has been released to manufacturing but has been delayed by 2 or 3 months. I have heard this same message since last September-'02. Then, today (2/7/03) I called a customer service representative at BesTop only to learn that the Supertop for our particualr vehicle application has not even gone into the design stage yet. Is this really true?

This was not welcomed news for many of us. Furthermore, by misleading your potential clients into believing you are on the cusp of being able to offer a solution to our softtop woes shows extremely poor character and business etiquette on your behalf. This is especially true when, in reality, this effort quite possibly has not even gotten to the inception stage.

There are many just like me who have waited patiently to spend good money on a qulaity product that apprently does and then does not exist. At last count, if I recall correctly, there were more than "30" club memebers willing to cough up the $$$ for a good top. Do we need to take our business elsewhere?

Also, it might be a good idea to make sure your customer service representatives are reading from the same script when it comes to product release schedules.

Regards,
    Scott Matson

Am I alone on this...?

--Scott /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

I'm with you man, i've emailed them a dozen times and always get either an "i'm not really sure" or a "Just wait a few months". /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Whenever you get the reply, let me know.

3. BigOrange

BigOrange Registered Member

I am frustrated by them as well. I sent them *another* email (to Mike Knutson at Bestop) last week asking about the Supertop for 1st gen Blazers after I saw your post. Reminded me of my irritation with them... and here is the repsonse.

"I have heard that we are coming out with one but there is no release date set. It would be more than likely end of summer or early fall beforeit is available. Sorry I don't have much information on them.
    Mike"

I wish we could get a straight answer, or some proto-type info, pics, etc. Does anyone live near their shop? Have you tried to swing by? I think we keep getting stuck in the sales group is basically oblivious to what their designers are up to.

Everyone sedn them another round of email and see if we can shake some info loose.

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I got the same runaround when I was spearheading a group purchase for the members here from Can-Bac.They did it for about 9 months before I went to thier shop and saw that the prototype was non-existant.Meanwhile I was being told "not too much longer now" and "it should be another couple months".
    Ya well freak you,mother frackers! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

This is pretty standard behavior for the high-tech industry: Pre-announce a product way before it's even begun design phase, keep telling the public that "it's just around the corner," and have it ready (or kill it off) a long time down the road. Telling the potential customer that it's almost ready keeps you from putting your money into one of their competitors. All they need to do is continue to feed you FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt). It's especially prevalent from a certain monolithic corporation from Washington (which is one of the many reasons why I refuse to use anything from their company).

6. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

Bastards... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Kinda like the air locker for the 14FF.........

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Kinda like the air locker for the 14FF.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the e-Locker! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

.....the softtop doesn't interest me particularly, but a set of e-Lockers (front and rear) would be SWEET!!!

9. BigOrange

BigOrange Registered Member

Hey JimmyUp!

Did they ever get back to you on this? I sent another note out a few days ago asking to speak with a design engineer or someone higher up in the company than sales. No repsonse yet.

10. yellowmoon

yellowmoon Registered Member

In the bikini post <font color="blue"> </font> HIX <font color="black"> </font> said "I live near the bestop Facility in Broomfield." We should get him to stop by or something.

11. HIX

HIX Registered Member

I'll give it a shot. Maybe that will lite a fire under those guys...

12. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

Still no reply from BesTop regarding my most recent inquiry. I even offered to assist hoping that would facilitate a response but no sir.....

I am now leaning toward getting a custom bikini top that would run the entir lengeth of my 72-Jimmy rather than folding after the factory roll-bar. This is a temporary solution for me until a company comes out with a solid soft-top option.

Until then I am fighting with the design for a full-cage, as well as fighting bumpsteer as a result of my new lift.

Regards,
    Scott