Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

venting DW frustrations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Sep 21, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Sometimes I just want to drive this flippin truck off a cliff /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I'm driving to school this morning, and I notice that the wheel is wobbling a little more than normal. I am used to getting the occasional mild DW at low speeds on just the right bump. But I keep driving... I stop at the local McDs to grab some grub and then pull out of the parking lot. Before I know it I've got violent DW kicking in around 40MPH! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif The kind that requires a COMPLETE stop to allow the suspension to settle. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I can't believe it, never before has it happened at that speed. So I start going again... and sure enough, on smooth road, I got DW again @ about 40MPH! Three or four more times within 1 mile, I finally got pissed, and turned around for home. Now I'm missing school today too.

Its not even the DW that really sux... its just that the rig is getting too hairy to drive on the road. Man I need a daily driver. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Looking for a 92 or later 3/4 burb... anyone have one? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Dan

2. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif hey dan i know how ya feel with the death wobble thing i have it to but not sure what it was going to hydro steering and doing crossover maybe by the end of October, gotta go get married today at 5:30 we are leaving the church in our truck and some of my buddies have all brought their trucks too. cant drive mine everyday cause as the mods progress and tires get bigger just not practical to drive everyday so buying a tow rig this month and just got a new trailer also will get back to ya on the shocks just have to check and get them ordered pm ya on that tommorow if ii get time mon at the latest later

3. KRAZIE87K5

What a committed CK5er you are! Getting married today, and still have time to surf! HHEhehehehehe! CONGRATS! And what a cool way to leave the church... in the rig! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I'll look for your PM tomorrow...

-Dan

4. mudduck

mudduck 1/2 ton status

yea the girls are doing there stuff to get ready and family members took care of decorating and getting recepction hall ready, guys stayed at my place girls at n-laws place so everything else was taken care of just relaxing at home waitnig till time to go actually was wrenching on truck hope she dosent read this we are running a trail just outside of town after reception and before we go to celebrate some more later

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Two words:

<font color="red">Hydraulic Assist...</font color>

Buy all the parts, come down for a weekend and I'll help you install and fab it up.

My truck was undriveable (ask Neil or Shagz) at 30mph. Below or above was OK, but watch out if you hit any bumps @ 30. When I installed H/A, it was like the Fairy Fauking Godmother herself waved her wond and made the the truck drivable again.

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, another vote for Hydro-Assist. Todd's problems were exactly like mine. The kit from WTO fixed it.

You gotta get hydro assist. And, check the bushings too.

BIGJ

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's that D60...You should pull it and send it down to me. I'll get it straightend out and do some testing and make sure it's right and send back to you in a few years /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Have you got shims in the front spring to change the pinion angle? Pull them and the front drive shaft and see how it does. With as much lift as you have you might need to cut a rotate the axle to get the steering geometry back to correct but allow you to run the pinion up.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I don't know how much this bearing will have. I put on a set of bias ply Mickey Thompson's on my truck a while back. This is with 1/2 ton running gear. Never had any real probs with the front end, but I developed the dreaded DW as soon as I installed those tires. After changing tie rod and drag link (?) ends, which I knew were worn, the DW was still there. I put my radial tires back on and no more DW. May be different w/ the D60 though. Are you running the TSL radials or the bias ply TSL's?

John

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

As I have stated in earlier posts....

"Welcome to the Wonderful World of Death Wobble. During your Deathwobble Experience, you will not be able to suck down that McDonalds Shake while the wobbilin' starts...."

Dan, what you had prior to Death Wobble is what we hillbilly folk call "dem tremors". /forums/images/icons/grin.gif You get "dem tremors" anytime you install taller tires. Either you had "tremors" or it musta' been "small wobbles" /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif . This time - Since you probably dropped your burger on the floorboard and spilled your soda it must have been real true Death Wobble.

Maybe you bent your tierod or tweaked your stabilizer in Attica. I do agree with the rest of the crowd - Hydro Assist is the thing to fix that problem.

10. KRAZIE87K5

SPILLED MY SODA??? Sheet man, I nearly lost my lunch! The flippin thing shook so hard a few times that the shifter was wackin the underside of the trans tunnel! That can't be a good thing! I took and shortened the tie rod, to give a little toe-in (since it had managed to open up a bit or toe-out), and that helped a little... but it surely isn't driveable yet.

There is this one bump on the way to work that gets the DW fired up EVERY time... and forces me to a complete stop (in traffic) before the DW dies off. Its encredibly frustrating. And on the day I decided to park it, I had enough... it was so bad that I couldn't break 20mph or else the DW would begin without a bump to set it off... just like the tires alone were enough to get it VIOLENTLY started. Its becoming depressing... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif So depressing that I conviced the wife its time to park the Blazer, and get a daily driver/tow rig. Plus I've been getting tormented by the local authorities lately on bumper height, no font plate, emissions failing... etc. Its all catching up with me now. I think it might be time to make the Blazer a "trail only" vehicle. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif At least I won't have to cry when I finally DO get that first inevitable dent in the body! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Hydro may solve it, but I just don't know. I think the October run may be the last for the Blazer before its retired from daily driver status. Anyone have a sweet 3/4 ton burb or P/U they need to sell? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Dan

11. KRAZIE87K5

Yes, I have 36" Bias ply TSLs on her right now. But I have decided to KILL these tires, then mount up some 39.5" or 42's next year. If its the tires, then too bad for me. I will just have to park it, and have it aligned to its best ability.

-Dan

12. Death Wobble? What's That? I had a death wobble on the Burb a month or so ago and came to find out that the wheel bearing had got loosened up some how. Thank God I caught it quickly and it didn't do any damage to the spindle or bearings. I was always use to the normal "OLD SWAMPER" wobble that I have had for quite some time, but I thought it made a good massager so I never worried much about it. I'd say go with Hydro assist, but check all of your joints and your bearings, U-bolts, ect.. on the front end first !!

13. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i had the DW when i first put the d60 under my truck i dunno if this was the right thing to do or not but it took the death wobble away, i just put dual stabilizers on it and i havent had it since, ill go to Hydro after i get some other Mods done... but it has been a good bandaid so far only cost me about 80 bucks for the whole stabilizer deal

14. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Hey BigBurb!! Where have you been hiding??

rob

15. I haven't been hiding anywhere !! I have actually been posting more lately than normal. I thought maybe I have been doomed to be an outcast or something. I swear people don't even look at my posts anyway. There loss if they don't !! I think I have quite a bit of Chevy knowledge to lend a helping hand !! I still have the Burb and I am driving her to work everyday too !! I want a damn K5 though and I will get one !!