Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

venting gas water heaters, plastic pipe ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Mar 1, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i think ive seen white pvc pipe used to vent waters heaters or furnaces before, like the 2" stuff ? or is that not possible ? what size is vent pipe anyways ?
    i need to install a gas water heater i have, currently electric, used to be a gas one originally, so i have to re run new vent piping, i dont know how to work with steel vent pipes or even what size the stuff is, plastic would be easy and cheap,

thanks

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

NO NO NO.Do not use pvc to vent water heaters. Otherwise it will melt all over the place. Heres what you do.....

Run gas or have a plumber run a gas line to where you need your water heater to go, test it, throw a valve 1/2 inch on the end (flared) ,,,but it sounds like you have gas already....

Install a stand for the gas appliance in the garadge, (code here says it has to be 18 above the ground)

Make sure you have strapps there for the water heater, upc approved earthquake strapps.

For the flue,(vent) the ONLY time you ever use pvc 3inch, is when you have a POWERVENT water heater, with a motor on top that pumps out the carbon monoxide at a faster rate to componsate for the amount of BTUs and dosent let the exaust air get that hot, in turn you can run 3 pvc, witch is NOT for standard applications.

Instead what you want to do, is this....

Get a 40- 50 0r 80- or 100 gal gas res gas water heater, mount it on the stand,,, (make sure you have a stand),, natural gas flowing raw in the garadge,,and car starts BOOM,,,no no no good ,,,

Whe you do the flue, you use 3 inch from the vent connector up,, single wall. From 6 inches below the ceiling, sitch to B vent dual wall, make sure you have at least a 1 claerance around the pipe from any combustable material. When penetrating through the roof with you vent, use an apporoved roofjack flashing to prevent any leaks. Make sure you stick the b vent 24 inches above the roof. At the highest point at the slope. Top the b vent off with a stack. ALL done. The vent used today can be turned to lock strong so it wont come apart. The pvc is only used in a powervent app... and the powervents water heaters are like 900 bucks , opposed to 3-400 bucks for a reg water heater. You can go powervent , but it costs much more. Here are pics of a powervent

http://www.alaskacdc.org/water%20heater%20system.JPG

There badass, but cost much more to run. Use a reg 40-50 gal and youll be fine.

Any questions feel free to PM me. Later , jacob:)

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Also, again do not use the pvc. It will melt and make a big mess.

Here is a pic from the top http://www.dallashomeinspections.com/assets/images/Heater_vent_next_to_wind_turbine.jpg

Also, if you have to make turns, remember to make sure the vent is going UP, and has a positive grade. Remember the forces of gas, propane, etc, and the exaust of the water heater can KILL you, and you family while you are sleeping if not done properly,so be careful and have fun. :)

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Only Time plastic pipe is used in venting is in a High Effcentcy type of water heater or Furnace. Follow the Instructions of the Manufactor closly as they will tell you the size to use based on the length of the run and the amount of fittings used. Also these type of units are the condensing type of burners and will produce condensate which will require a line to a Drain also:)

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

A power vented water heater will use pvc. Unlike the High Eff. furnace it does not need a drain for condensation. They are a bit more expensive but are supposed to be a little more efficient (they are louder). They are very easy to vent because you can vent it out a side wall with pvc.

** I added a crappy picture from my cell phone. It is vented with 2" sch 40 pvc right out the side of my house. **

03-02-05_0610.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005