Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

venting...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Topdown, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I swear to everything holy that if they didnt pay me to go to work every day, I sure as hell wouldnt go!

In my day to day work I deal with giant databases. I generate ALL the DB that EVERY GM dealer in north america uses to order thier cars. So, no pressure right? I mean, what kind of stress can the entire ordering/pricing system for one of the largest companies in the world put on a single person? Should be a piece of cake... Shea! Especially when today for some unknown reason, in the middle of the French Canadian database generation process my 375,000.00 database server loses a RAID array so violently that it takes out the cotroller card and one of the other RAID arrays thats not even on the same controller card. Apparently a week or two ago IT had a "loss of cooling" in the server room but no damage was detected to any of the servers... Hmm... seems that we discovered today that when multiple RAID arrays get so hot that they thermally protect themselves and shut down that THAT [I love Jeeps] DOES SOME DAMAGE! I mean holy crap... the IT guys HAD to know that the loss of cooling in the server room (normally kept at a balmy 50 degree's but spiked into the 100's for a few hours) would do SOMETHING!

I know its not thier fault, the IT guys couldnt have known, but daaamn... So, 14 hours and about 20 a$$-reamings later my day is finally done.

Tomorrow starts the process of dissecting the remains of a $15,000.00 RAID array to see if anything is recoverable.

I swear its a darn good thing they pay me to go there...

2. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

HAHA and I thought MY day was bad !!!!! Good luck tomorrow man......

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif tell you what ill go catch some fish for you tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

This is just a perspective, but, it's kinda like sittin on the bench in a football game. You would rather be out there gettin kicked in the nads, then warnin the bench.
    I would give my left to get a paycheck right now than ride the UI train.
    Just to help you realize the reality.
    Gorrilla.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Oh no... trust me bro, when the wife got laid off and we were surviving on my paycheck alone, the reality hit me... now that its been two years, the reality still hits me... right in the wallet... I agree, better to take my beating at work getting a paycheck then to take it out of work and living in the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

just felt like venting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

So your the guy !

8. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So your the guy !

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif