Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Verify my pinion angle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, Feb 25, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I am seeing if my pinion angle calculation is correct, I am going by this link
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index2.html
    This is what I have, both set of slopes are in the same direction. Transfer case 3.5 degrees, drive shaft 9 degrees, and pinion is 16 degrees. so going by this statement

"If both slopes are in the same direction (up or down), subtract the lesser number from the greater to obtain the operating angle"

This gives me 5.5 degrees front and 7 degrees rear. I took my readings off of the yokes as per the article. Am I correct with my assumption that I am at 1.5 degrees total?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  2. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

3. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you sure both slopes are in the same direction.Also what type of drivline do you fhave now. Too be in the same angle the drivline would be slanting down , and the pinion would be slanted up past the transfer case angle. I just got done putting a new cv in my jimmy and for some reason your 1.5 does not sound right.

4. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Mine is just like this, with the exception my numbers are what I posted in the first post.

[​IMG]

I thought I was doing something wrong in figuring it out, but according to the article I am doing it correctly, I may be wording my findings incorrectly though:D .

5. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Maybe it would help if i knew exactly what you were trying to accomplish.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

pic no worky

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Spicer recommends no more than a 3 Degree angle between pinion and shaft. This means that your front is off by 2.5 Degrees (not really very much), and the rear is off by 4 Degrees. My guess is that if you put a 4 Degree shim in the rear, and dropped the transfer case 2", this would put your drive shaft in the ball park of where it needs to be, but this is just a guess.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here is what mine looks like (Dont laugh at my drawing capabilities) I do not have a CV just the stock slipyoke single joint:doah: .
    Dline angles.JPG

If my math is wrong let me know I am worried about binding the top joint if I droop too much I have the stock s44 joint in the top and a conversion s44-1350 in the pinion.

Ira

Dline angles.JPG

9. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

The more I read the article on all of this, the more I get confused, what I want out of all this is the knowledge on how to figure this out correctly. I have had so many different people tell me so many different things, I frankly do not know what is correct and what is not. Then the article goes on to explain the pinion angle changing under cruise throttle, which also has to be compensated for. During the next year there are going to be many changes in my drive line angles, I figure I will have an assortment of shims to correct the angles, and I just want to make sure I am calculating the angles out correctly.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

wouldnt you just want to get the t case and pinion on the same plane?:confused: meaning if your t case is pointing 3.5* down wouldnt you want the rear axle 3.5* up?

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

what about this

Drvieline1.JPG

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

never mind my posts, im an idiot!:D:doah: