Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

very bad vibration after new t-case mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Jul 7, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I just installed new body and t-case mounts. Now i have a severe vibration. It happens when im idleing and in all gears, in park-3rd. So it cant be the driveline. I hope i didnt hurt anything while lifting the t-case to slide the new mounts in. Anyone got any ideas of what to look for? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif i know you get more feeling from polyurethane, but this is not normal. Something must be offbalanced, and not running right.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If your getting a vibe when just sitting in idle, and you lifted the t-case, almost sounds like it could be something on the tranny side of the hook up. Cause while your just sitting there, nothing is going on in the t-case.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Did you go to poly BODY mounts? Some people say they transfer more vibration than the stock type rubber ones. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 76_Cheyenne

yea, poly, but its not a lil vibration. I took off my flexplate dust cover, and watched the torque converter and flexplate spin and they dont look like they are spining evenly, looks like there is a little wobble. I wonder if thats my problem.

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

yep i think ur in the right ball park probably when ya jaked it up to put the new mount in ya went 2 high and either cracked your tans housing or ur flywheel

6. 76_Cheyenne

well i talked to my mechanic on the phone, he said no even if i jacked up the t-case into the cab i wouldn't break something. I rechecked the mount to see if there was any metal on metal contact. The bushings are on right. The trans. housing isnt cracked cause there is no fluid leaking. I think it must be the flex plate cause i thought it was cracked before, and i must have agrevated it. It also starts really harsh now to. Im gonna have my mech. look it over in the morning.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a cracked flex plate in a car, and didn't really notice a difference, but that may vary.

Just wondering if the more solid attachment of the transmission/t-case, but NOT the engine, could cause a problem like this. What kinda shape are the engine mounts in?

I'm not putting poly t-case mounts in without putting in poly engine mounts too...a few people have broken the "adapter" bolt mounting with rubber engine/poly trans mounts.

8. 76_Cheyenne

hmm, i wonder if that could be the issue. Because the engine is what is shaking, not the tcase. The t-case is solid as a rock. i'll go start my engine and watch. Thanks for the tip. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 76_Cheyenne

motor mounts look fine. i'll just keep troubleshooting.

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You are not supose to mix mounts. If you are running a poly tranny mount then you have to run poly engine mounts, or you will break something. What happens is rubber gives more, and allows the motor to move farter than the tranny/t-case and something breaks.

Dan

11. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Your trans mount is a third engine mount also. It supports the trans, yes, but also sets and holds the angle for the engine in line with the driveline. Have someone hold the brakes and engage the trans back and forth into drive and reverse. Stand next to the engine compartment and watch your engine. If it moves more than an inch or so to the side, into foreward or reverse, you might think about replacing the engine mounts also. Sometimes it's hard to see if the rubber is torn, and jacking up the tranny/tcase can tear it. Knowing that your flywheel/flexplate is cracked makes a huge difference too. I'd replace that right away. Otherwise, you'll start going through starters like it's nobody's business. Just something to think about. Good luck.