Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Very basic question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SlicksInRain, Jan 15, 2007.

1. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

I recently had manual locking hubs for my 4x4 installed eventhough I didn't want them. My question is what happens if I turn the hubs and don't shift? Will this cause something to break? I just don't like having to get out to get it into four wheel drive because it can be dangerious on the highways over here. I know the best bet is to simply take care of business before I hit the road though.

Another thing is the truck still really in 2 wheel drive (left front, back right) or does it actually have true 4x4 now? The company is warn, but I don't know what model.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You can have your hubs locked in whenever you want. The purpose of them is to reduce wear and tear on the front drivetrain i.e. when the hubs aren't locked nothing is turning/wearing.

This hubs will have not help you get any more traction than you had before.

Your truck doesn't just power the front left and rear right tires. It puts power to all 4 but if either one front or one rear tire has less traction than its counterpart only the tire with less traction will recieve power because you have open differentials. So yes, if you have little traction on at least one front tire and at least one rear tire, you would probably be spinning just those 2 tires. Lockers/limited slips are the solution to that.

3. mjnemmer

mjnemmer Registered Member

i second the previouse post but to answer ur ? u can leave ur hubs locked but its a good idea to keep them unlocked as often as posible. and to ad to it ull get better gas milage unlocked.

4. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

I guess I'll have to start watching the weather more often. Thanks for your info guys.