Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VERY budget build (questions about 52's and others)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RampageFSJ, Sep 8, 2006.

1. RampageFSJ

RampageFSJ 1/2 ton status

I've got a friend (yes, another one if you're keeping track of my posts:rolleyes: ) who is thinking about getting a stock 80 4x4 1500, with a blown engine that needs replaced, sm465, 205, and from the specs sheet on the front page, a 12 bolt / 10 bolt combo. He has a 70's 2wd farm beater truck with a good 350 engine that he wants to put in it if he gets it. I was wanting to know a few things about building this thing on a budget.

I can get a set of 52's for a 4"-ish lift in the front, but I was wanting to know if he'll need to modify, or completely get rid of his drive shaft in the front for a longer slip one. If any of you that have done it with the stock shaft please, let me know how you set it up. If not, then the seller of the truck also has a drivetrain-less blazer with (maybe) a 4" lift that he may be able to pursuade the seller to get rid of along with some other parts.

I'd give him a home made shackle flip in the rear by cutting holes in the hangers and gusseting them up. He'll then get some 35x12.5x15" all terrains for sale locally for around $200 to mount on some stock 15x8" wheels. I've seen a couple of trucks with that wide of a tire on those wheels and I was wondering if they work allright? Then he'll put in crossover steering by using the steering box from the farm truck and the pitman arm and steering arm probably from ORD for quality stuff, and a flat top D44 knuckle on the pass. side. I'll make the draglink, so is there anything that I haven't mentioned in the steering?

It'll probably stay with open diffs because it will be his DD, and he'll probably swap in some cheap axles if they come his way with some lower gears to make up for the 35's. Aside from shocks and brake lines, is there anything else I should think about before I break out this plan on him?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read and lend any knowledge:bow: , I'll probably think up some other questions later.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  2. RampageFSJ

Also, would it be acceptable to build a draglink for a DD with heims that have 3/4" holes on each end? While using good, quality heims, of course.

3. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

paragraphs are your friend...

as for the driveshafts, i still have a stock shaft and have 52s. My front axle is still in stock location tho. Ive pulled it apart once but im also sittin at almost 6" lift up front so it could use a couple extra inches in the lengthening dept...

as for the shackle flip...thats not how i would do it, but if you gusset it up well enough and all, i don't see it being much of a problem.

12.50s fit just fine on x8 wheels. I did it with some 33x12.50s and liked the little extra lip protection and all.

you will probably want to use both d44 knuckles when u go to x-over. I believe tie rod is orentated differently between 10bs and 44s. also, one arm may or may not be at the same heigth between 2 different sets of knuckles.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Heims do not wear very well compared to tie rod ends. I would imagine it is cheaper in the long run to go with stock Chevy rod ends than with heims.

5. RampageFSJ

Thanks, is it better now? I was afraid that the D44 and 10 bolt knuckles wouldn't match with the tie rod. I'll probably just find him a flat top knuckled 44 and a 12 bolt before he does the building just to get that out of the way.

I was also afraid that heims wouldn't be right either, looks like I'll have to do some more looking and research:doah: .

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Apparently someone has gotten away with it. I'd be very interested to see fully-flexed pics with 52s and stock driveshaft though... they have a LOT of droop and it seems like at some point the stock-sized joints would run out of operating angle. I know on my D60, even with a 1410 joint at the diff the angle can get pretty nasty.

Its not that big of a deal really... if you install everything and then flex it out and the shaft won't work, just lengthen it or buy / rebuild a junkyard shaft that has larger joints/CVs.

That will work, ugly, but it'll work.

my street tires are 35x12.5x15 on 15x8 rims. Works great. Don't worry about the rim being to narrow... there are peeps out there running 44" TSLs on 8" wide rims...

Sounds like everything is under control. I'd recommend WFO Concepts for the steering parts. They provide good products and great customer service too... for le$$.

Not that I can think of...

j

7. RampageFSJ

I might just put out a wanted ad for most of the steering parts. As many forums that I visit, there should be something out there within his price range.

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I did 52's on my 71 blazer, moved the axle forward 3 inches, and did furd shock towers and ended up needing a minimum of 5 inches slip travel in my front shaft. Pulled it apart twice at rausch creek.

If you can find a decent driveshaft place locally, mine took a slip from a one ton 2wd longbed, the one at the carrier bearing. It has 7 inches of splines. They had to turn it down to fit the front shafts smaller tubing, but it works great.

9. RampageFSJ

I could probably make him a long slip square shaft to use for a while until he can afford a regular one that fits. So he could just put the 205 in 2wd and unlock the hubs to go down the road.:thinking:

But also, he doesn't need extra long travel, just 4" of lift. Something tells me that there aren't many people out there that swapped in 52's and had the same amount of flex as regular 4" lift springs that you can use the stock front shaft with. I'll probably convince him to get some 4" front leaves.

10. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I had no front driveshaft issues with 6 inch lift front springs. Was even able to use the stock shaft.

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got 9" lift, with front axle moved out 1.5" with a d60 (longer pinion) and 5* shims and i run the stock shaft for now. it works, with barely any slip, but i didnt see a point in upgrading until i swap in my new springs. im not plannin on doing anyhting with hardcore flex yet until everything is finished so im able to get away with it for now.

with 52's youll be moving the axle out and adding more flex, new shaft will be a must

12. RampageFSJ

Well, I just found out that he allready will have cash problems getting the thing. I think He'd better hold off on upgrading it like this for a while. Probably the first thing I'll do for him is fit those previosly mentioned 35's on there with no lift and help him get it running right. Thanks for any input, and if there is anything else on your mind, don't hesitate on letting me know:bow: .