Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Very confused, 4x4 woes, HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Ok, some of you may have read my NP208 Problems post awhile back and know that I've been having trouble with my 4wheel drive. Well, last friday I got a thrust alignment, the steering was almost 180* out from where it was supposed to be. Now its fixed and today I got a bug up my butt and took the K5 out. Put her in 4Hi(still have to be in park, can't shift in on the fly) and took it to some tiny trails by my house. I'm happy to say it didn't slip out like it had been doing before. And by slip out I DON'T mean the shifter popped out of gear. I just lost all power to front and rear wheels and the Tcase made a whirring sound. It didn't do it today. Which made me VERY happy.

However, when turning, I noticed that my wheels were almost locking, felt as if they were trying to turn at the same speed when I turned. It was much more noticable in 4Low than 4Hi, but still did it. Pulling back into my drive way they actually made the tires chirp a bit going around the turn(I'm talkin slow here, no more speedin around in 4hi/low for me).

When I first got the K5, I couldn't shift into 4hi on the fly. I thought this was the way it was supposed to be so I didn't worry about it. Other than that I had no problems. Then, I when 4wheelin one day, knocked the steering about 180* out. THEN while installing the stereo I took the cute little black cover off from around the Tcase shifter. Those are the only two things that happened to it before it started poping out of gear. So today I took the trim piece around the shifter out (I'm sure this is just a paranoid hope that its something so simple but hey...) and it didn't do it and my steering is also fixed. But now its doing the strange thing when turning.

Could some one PLEASE give me some ideas of what the heck to do? I'll probably take it in to a shop to find out about why it won't shift in on the fly. But I would like to at least have some ideas so I don't get ripped off. And if I can fix it myself all the better. I'm REALLY confused here and getting a tad frustrated. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Are you sure there isn't a gov-loc or tru-trac in the front????. Has for the shifting. Mine is a 86 also. You have to put it in park or nuetral to put it in 4low. But not 4hi. You might need to adjust the linkage....

[​IMG]

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I don't understand the part where you say your steering was out 180° ????

Anybody have some answers for BigBrownK5 ??????

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

[​IMG]

4. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Ok, if it had a govloc/trutrac in front that would be on the options list if it was factory correct? Well, nothing mentioned on the options list of a govloc. I'm not saying it doesn't have one. But it doesn't seem to me like a rig that previous owners would have put it in there. I'll do a check on the shift linkage when my dad gets home. And I knew about having to have it in P/N for 4low, but it shouldn't be that way for 4hi.

And by the steering being 180* out I mean, to be going in a straight line, the steering wheel had to be upside down. 180* off from where it SHOULD have been to go in a straight line. And it wasn't like that when I got it. But thats back to normal now, they said I had a slight crack in the frame around the steering box (which doesn't suprise me, I'll relay the story of how I messed that up some other time so you all can ridicule me for my idiocy and youthful indiscretion [​IMG])

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your linkage might be messed up. If it stopped giving power to the axles, I'd say the t-case popped down into N....sounds kinda strange, but thats the best I can do.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

6. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

The shift linkage was one of the first things that came up in talking with people on this board, people around town, and people over at off-road.com/chevy The only thing is, whenever I hear of peoples Tcases slipping into N the shifter moves with it. And my shifter doesn't move at all. The guy I work with drives an old Scout 2 and said his pops out of 4Low, just has to hold it in gear, but again thats the shifter moving which mine doesn't. Damn I wish I was a mechanic, that or rich as hell so I could just go say "Fix it" [​IMG]

7. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

do you have a body lift?

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just remember that anytime you have it in either 4 high or 4 low, the front and rear tires are both locked together (meaning the front and rear always will spin a the same speed). However, when you turn the front and rear tires follow a different arc and therefore a different distance. When in 2wd, the front tires can spin a different speeds to compensate for this, but when locked into 4wd they can't.

Basically what I am saying is that you will have some tire slippage or even hopping when making turns on any type of surface. On a loose surface (mud, snow, etc..) you really don't notice it, but on packed dirt, grass, or even gravel and especially asphalt, you can usually tell at least one tire is slipping, sometimes feeling like it's almost binding up. I suspect that is what is happening.

9. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

I agree with 6.2. Both of my chevys tend to bind up when turning on pavement in 4wd. The front tires have to travel on a bigger arc when turning.

10. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Nope, no body lift.

And ok, the binding is normal (my 1st 4x4 so ya gotta cut me some slack [​IMG]).

What is the chance that the 4wheel drive slipping out has to do with the Transmission rather than the Tcase? I'm asking because recently I've noticed on cold days, sometimes through the low-mid RPMs there is a sound almost like a loose belt, but none of the belts are loose. Sounds like its coming from the Tranny. Only does it once in awhile and it happens in 2wd. If the connection between the Transsmission and Tcase where bad could it theortically slip so the Tcase wasn't even getting any power to send to the wheels anyway? Or is this not even possible.

I did some light 4xing again today(just to see if it would slip out) and low and behold it did. Did fine, was going slow and everything, sped up a bit and hit a mud puddle and it slipped out. Stopped, put the Tranny in Neutral, shifted the Tcase back to 2wd, drove a bit, put the Tcase back in 4hi, drove around for awhile, did fine, slipped out one more time, then it didn't do it any more. I'm really confused here. I'll be checking the shift linkage once my dad gets back (he's on a business trip right now) but other than that do you guys have any ideas?

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Check the linkage before you do anything else. Its free and sounds very probable and the chirping is normal. You outta try turning in 4WD on pavement as far as it will turn and see what it does. LOL!!!!! Like a bucking bull with hick-ups. But no dont it snot good for it.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It sounds like the T-case is only partially engaging in 4 HI, this could cause the slipping out. It also makes sense that shifting back to 2 HI and then back to 4 HI 'fixes' the problem.
    Use your manual to find the linkage adjusting procedure and then adjust it back to specs...
    Having your linkage out of adjustment could also cause the inability to shift on the fly.

Drivetrain wind-up is normal in 4 WD.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

13. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Hea Dan it's your fellow missoula K5er here.....I might be able to stop by and take a look at your truck mine was doing similar things befor my whole drive and tran was replaced :) not saying thats waht you need but Ill try and help out and besides id like to meet you anyway.
    ~Mike

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

14. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

In 2wd....your t case isn't doing anything....it's just along for the ride....

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

15. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

If adjusting the linkage doesn't help, my guess would be your shift fork bushings are worn. My NP241 (very similar to your 208) had an intermittent 4wd! It shifted in fine sometimes, other times it stayed in 2wd. Turned out to be the shift forks.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

16. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Thanks all for the suggestions and replies. I'll be checking the shift linkage next week and if its the bushings I'll call around to some local shops to find out the price on that.

Mike, any time ya wanna meet up I'm game [​IMG] gotta take a look at your blazer and although mines not all that impressive (yet) its nice looking. I'm pretty busy these next few weeks but we'll meet up sooner or later (and your welcome to stop by subway some night for a discounted samich for a fellow K5er [​IMG])

Everyone else, thanks again. I'll let ya know how it turns out.