Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Very Confused...?? Now with video!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jun 8, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright when i put my truck into reverse.. and start ideling backwards while turning i get a loud BANGGG coming from my rear end/ujoint pinion area.. I had my brother look at it for me while i drove it in reverse circles and it made the horrible banging noise a lot. I had him jump in and as soon as he put it in reverse.. i watched the rear ujoint basically twist one way. then very quickly back the other almost as if it was spring loaded in some wierd way. This is in a Dana 60 rear w/ detriot 4:56gears, fresh ujoints. I can upload a small video clip tmrow in the daylight if it would help but it puzzles me, it just started about 2days ago, only did it 1 time each day though.

NOW WITH VIDEO! this is what happens when i put my truck into reverse.... and when back in park it rolls about 3ft. any idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I2TU1hxA2w

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, maybe a video would help out,,,,anything "banging" in a truck is not really good, unless it's you in the back seat:p: :doah:

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wonder if the ring & pinion gear backlash is excesive. You say you have 4:56 gears, this means that the differentail has been worked on at some time, in order to have 4:56's. Where the 4:56 gears installed recently?

4. stockk5

na i bought this rear end from some guy last year.. and didnt do anything to it, the pinion seal has been leaking for about a month though.

5. stockk5

haha yeah.. im not sure why i even posted this but i just went out and had my bro throw it from park to reverse a few times in teh driveway.. u cant see much.. but this is simply from going park to reverse while in the driveway..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGUuRCBuW3o

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Pull teh diff cover and check it out. Sounds like one of the pinion bearings could be going out

7. stockk5

i added a video in the daylight

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You've gotta pull the cover. Only take you a minute. Something that bizzare should be pretty obvious when you get the cover off.

9. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I could not get the sound to play. Tried a few of the other videos on there and heard them just fine

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Looks to me like your backlash is way out but I could be wrong. My detroited 14FF gets about 1/4 turn at the pinion with my backlash.

Ira

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Maybe you broke some teeth off the ring?

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Agreed! That is more than backlash. You are missing some teeth off of the ring, pinion, or both. Have you been doing any burn outs, or full throttle hill climbs latley?

13. stockk5

well i took the cover off after work.. and the ring and pinion gears both have all there teeth and i couldnt see any chips or anything like that in the pinion gears either. It seems to be something odd with my detroit locker, w/ the differential cover off tranny in neutral it spins freely forward, when i spin it backwards there is a resistance, like the spring in the detriot is catching or sumthing and it will eventually make a loud click/snap and spin.. i assume this was the sound i was hearing when in reverse and turning just amplified w/ the extra force from the truck actually doing it not my hands. How hard is it to fix a detriot? Thanks for any help guys.