Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Very confused???SOLVED!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5guy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I know there have been a ton of questions about switching to manual hubs from auto hubs but today I installed a new set of Mile Marker premium hubs
    on my 89.I took it out for a run thru but the wheels felt like they were loose:eek1: I did eveything according to memory then double checked the instructions:rolleyes: .Am I wrong for thinking that 10 bolt and dana 44s take the same lock out?Otherwise I am completely dumbfounded on what happened.:confused: I took out the manuals and put the old autos back in and no problems.Any help would be greatly appreciated:D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

shouldn't have made a difference since the wheel bearings should not have been affected. I swapped on some warn premiums with out removing the wheels. was it just one side or both that felt "loose"?

3. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

It felt like both sides and when i would turn:eek1: it really felt like the whole front end was loose.When I put the old autos back in ,no problem.I must have stared at the manual and autos next to each other for hours it seemed ,trying to figure out where the problem was.I removed everything back to the outer wheel bearing nut just like the diagram showed then dropped in the new manual hub with the lock ring and small snap ring.I am totally clueless here.:confused:

4. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Explain "loose" a little better. Do you get this "loose" feeling when you are making turns on or off pavement? Maybe your autos didnt work and the front end was never fully locked. If you make a turn on pavement with your hubs locked you get a rocking from side to side.

~jason

5. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

It felt as if the outer axles were just flopping around.When I turned (with the new MMs installed),it felt as if there was a delay form the time i turned the steering wheel till the wheels actually turned.One thing i did notice with the hubs out was that back behind the Outer bearing nut the lock washer had 4 square tabs equally spaced apart in a + sign design.On the back of the hub
    there were 4 recessed areas which obviously interlocked with the tabs.The auto hubs go back alot deeper than the MMs.I know that if you haven't taken auto hubs apart this probably sounds confusing but I am describing it
    as good as I can:o

6. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    The hubs really have no bearing (hee hee) on the steering. You can drive without them. Sorta' like the horn button, just connects the inner shaft to the outer hub. Other bearings support the shaft...

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

After putting the new hubs in, did you check the wheel to see if it was loose? It shouldn't matter, since you didn't mess with the bearings, but I would check if you are having these problems.

I'd put the wheels up in the air after you put the new hubs in the differential and engage them a few times (spin by hand), just to make sure they're working.

As far as the axles flopping around, I don't think they can if you have the small snap ring on the axle. If the problem goes away with the auto hubs reinstalled, I'd guess that you have the wrong manual hubs.

8. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Were you driving it with the manual hubs locked?

You may have frozen axle joints.

9. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Well after really taking a close look at things I found 2 problems::doah:

1. Tie rods are shot which caused the death wobble

2. Axle u-joints are frozen

I guess considering that this K5 is 17 yrs old I should expect these kind of
    repairs.
    Thanks for all the replies.This really is like a brotherhood on this web site:D

10. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

so with the automatics on (and not engaged) the front axle was not trying to turn, but with the manuals in and locked, the frozen u-joints were causing the problems. Well, while you have the axles out, time to drop in a lunch box locker while the front is apart. Probably a good idea to replace the ball joints also.

11. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Prob ball joints worn too, use moog (or CarQuest), easily greasable uppers, the only ones u can grease! Check my posts for pix...

12. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Because of the auto hubs being much longer they somewhathat disguised the bad tie rods.So with the much shorter manuals the tie rods were causing the bad wobble.The only thing that still gets me is that the axle u-joints were fine this past winter and now they are totally froze up:confused: