Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

very hard shifting 700r & where to get a rear yoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Jan 19, 2002.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

a year ago i had my tranny rebuilt when i bought the truck and the entire time i must have had it back a dozen times for leak and hard shifting.
    got frustrated and had a new engine tranny and xfer case installed
    picked it up from the shop and still shifted real hard and still have a leak at the rear of the xfer case, talk about a let down. carried it back, and they said i had a worn detent cable. never even heard of a "detent" cable, but after i replaced it the other night, and spent a little time adjusting, it shifts as smooth as a new truck. turns out the leak at the rear seal on the xfer case is from a bad yoke. i still have a tranny leak, but i think it is the rubber gasket under the detent cable, it had a tear in it when i replaced the cable.
    little by little things are coming together, FINALLY
    wiht a lot of help from coloradaK5
    thanks guys
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No shite...?
    I have a tranny that shifts hard about 50% of the time- and I mean window breaking hard!

I thought it was my tranny going south.... Detent cable eh? I'll try it and I hope I owe you a beer!

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics&gt;http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 96C4and91K5 on 01/20/02 12:02 AM.</FONT></P>

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

pretty simple to change also
    i just removed teh end at the tbi, then crawled under and removed the cable at the passenger side
    be prepared for the fluid to runout, i was not and wore about a cup or 2
    installed the new cable, and used the old cable to fish the new one up t the engine, then just snapped it into place. i think it only required a 10mm wrenc and a screwdriver.
    it takes a number of test drives to adjust just right, but was very easy
    good luck
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

4. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

You can adjust the cable right the first time. They automatically adjust if you push in the locking tab then push the adjusting arm all the torwards the firewall then lock it and press on the gas peddle to the floorand release it. and wala. Well it works for me and that's what the book says. As far as getting a yoke try the local yard for a new drive shaft might be easier that way.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 35's