Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Very High RPM Idle and loud whining noise - Please Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Apr 13, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I bought my truck like two months ago, and latley, when I start her up, it idles at really high rpms, like I am gassing it in park, I am not. When I shift out of park the rpms drop, and it sounds like it should. I do not have a tach, so I do not know for sure how high it is revving, but I would say at least 2500rpms.

And also, there is this really bad whining noise coming from my engine, I can really hear it at low speeds, and it gets louder and faster as I accerlerate, I think it might be a belt or...? All my belts seem tight enough, but I am not sure if that is it cause it gets louder and faster as I accerlate...

Any idea what the problems could be?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , when you did buy the truck , it was cold outside . The choke could be working .

If you were to sit a few minutes and let it warm up , then blip the throttle , the idle should lower .

The whine could be anything with a pulley and bearings on it , may be something else too . You can spray a little lube on one at a time to see if it goes away .

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

It does it every time I drive it, no matter how warm the engine is, its not as bad after a few hours of driving it as it would be after not driving it for 3 days.. but its still idling way too high..

But for the whine, it is also alot louder when I am turning, like a U-turn I can really hear it.

4. isaac

isaac 1/2 ton status

it might be your power steering check if its leaking and also check if your power steering fluid is low. lube your carb linkage and check the cable could be sticking???

5. pauly383

Yes a choke works regardless of time of year , it just gets up to temp sooner when its warm .

6. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

A vacume leak would cause that....

7. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hmmm.. I just noticed my breather hose was not hooked up tight, think that was the problem? My mom has my keys cause she has my car, so I cannot start it up right now.. I lubed up everything I could think of..

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That was my first thought.

9. pauly383

After the first year , you will have hose clamps on anything big enough to use them on .

I always forget about vacuum leaks , its been so long since I had one :doah:

10. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

Take a can of carb cleaner and spray down all vacume lines and the base of the carb. Also spra all around the intake manifold. If the engine idles up when your spraying,,,, you got a leak.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Actually, if it's leaking bad enough to whistle, you can just run your finger around all the gaskets and see when it changed pitch. That's how I found a leaking carb base gasket on my '80.
    Plus, it gets your hands in there and your eyes closer, so there's a better chance you'll see any missing/cracked/disconnected hoses.

12. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Alright, well I worked on my truck all morning, I need a new vaccum advance for my distributor, and somehow, I leaked out all my PS fluid, I found where it was leakign and fixed it. Its all better now.