Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Very Interesting comparison of 42" TSL and 40"MTR

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bullet, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Very Interesting comparison of 42\" TSL and 40\"MTR

I have been researching alot about the 40"MTR because I want to get a set and I was looking at PBB and found this interesting thread.

Here link to the pictures of a 40x13.5R17 MTR with out a rim next to a 42" TSL with a 15x10 TR beadlock
    Tire Comparison

The TSL measure 40.25" while the MTR is 39.5" tall /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Very Interesting comparison of 42\" TSL and 40\"MTR

Hmm quite interesting.

3. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

But that TSL is worn, while the MTR is new.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

that is kinda weird cuz my 42's on the blazer with 30 psi, measure 41 1/2", and there not new.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why would you have 30 psi in your 42's? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Matt, TSL's have very deep tread depth when new, so it's normal for them to noticably lose overall height when worn. Ask therobzilla how many MT/R's he has gone through in the last year...

Also, look how narrow looking the MT/R is in comparison...you'll have to lose a ton of air (and height) to get as much contact patch as the 42.

If you want a long lasting '40' look at the Michellin XML (I think it's the XML) Fits a 16" rim, is 38.9" true mounted height, about the same width as the MT/R, but will outlast two sets of MT/R's easily.

Rene

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know...each tire has its weak and strong points. I'm sure rob has wasted alot of tires, but then again I'm not going to be on the rocks as much or as hardcore as he. I would honestly go with a bias-ply TSL but with as much as I drive the Jimmy on a daily basis I really don't think I would like driving on a hard to balance, not round, flat spotted TSL. I know, I know, boo hoo /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Though, if they did make a 40x14.5R16 TSL SX I would re-think my decision. I want a nice fairly large tire and the MTR is the only one that catcheds my attention. The only flaw I see about them is there width. Sure they may be skinny but I don't think they're pizza-cutters, or how did you put them last time we met...'Fag' tires? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I don't know, maybe its just some bug I have where I have to have something and it might or might not pass, you can ask my dad /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif We'll see

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The only flaw you see is width? You didn't know they were radials? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only flaw you see is width? You didn't know they were radials? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...radials is the main reason why I am looking into these tires, I'm sorry but bias-plys really rub me the wrong way and I don't see what is so bad about radials.

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Matt, TSL's have very deep tread depth when new, so it's normal for them to noticably lose overall height when worn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can deff. agree with you there my 37" SSR's are now 35.25" tall /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'm just more interested in a company that has more quality control and puts out a product at its advertised size.

10. tRustyK5

You should read all of that link you posted then...

38.25" mounted and 10 psi...that'a a brand new 40" MT/R on the 17" beadlock rim. My 39.5" TSL with 20 psi measures 38.75" true height. That's a front tire mounted on the truck.

Who lies worse about true height?

Rene

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think both are great tires. I have TSLs now, but i wouldnt hesitate to run bigger MTRs. They are narrower, and sometimes thats a good thing. all depends on what ur doing. XMLs are very narrow for their height and they rock. XMLs are about as bad azz as tires get with respect to toughness... but at the same time ya need dubs (afaik) for em and they weigh a LOT. extensive grooving/siping is gonna be needed for them as well... atleast most of the guys runnin them on pirate seem to think so. I havent seen the "perfect tire" yet.. they are all compromises.

j

12. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

touche!

Or however the heck you spell it!/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. tRustyK5

j-man nailed it...every tire is a compromise. I do realize you see a lot of highway and road miles so a TSL would be a short lived set of tires for you. I drive maybe 6000 miles per year so I expect to get a good three years out of mine which is just fine.

Unfortunately the choices get more limited and the compromises harder to live with the bigger the tire gets. If you want something in a 40" size you'll either pay through the butt, wear them out quick, have to put up with poor on road handling or any combination of the above. Honestly in your situation I'd stick with a 37" tire size and look into a set of dedicated trail tires like a TSL on some cheap 15" steel rims.

If I ever get the NV4500 in my truck I'll be shopping for some nice girly 35"-37" AT's for daily driving and long trips (like bb04) and save the TSL's for wheeling.

Rene

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If I ever get the NV4500 in my truck I'll be shopping for some nice girly 35"-37" AT's for daily driving and long trips (like bb04) and save the TSL's for wheeling.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

There ya go. My idea exactly. Since I have 4.10s (and a gas engine) I might be able to pull it off without overdrive. I am sure going to try.

I know that I would prefer the strength of a bias tire over a radial. Trail tires are rough riding anyway, even in radials a tire that big isn't going to roll perfect.

As said, everything is a comprimise, but I think when you're talking about tires as big as 40", you're going to go places that you wouldn't want a radial tire to go.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Rene, I looked a week or so ago, those XMLs are impossible to locate, everyone that stock Michelins says they have never been able to locate 16" rim tires.

16. tRustyK5

They're not impossible to find...mj has a set on his truck.

Rene

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm any idea where he located them?

18. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've put 40,000+ miles on the Jimmy for the three years I've had it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Now, I just need to convince my Dad on getting them, I'm surpirsed he hasn't allready poseted here.

19. tRustyK5

No I have no idea where he got them, but they are out there somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

20. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

PM either OL14BLAZ or DP90K5, I think they know of someone in the DFW area that might be able to help you out.