Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

very loose steering? Any fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, Jun 10, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

recently while driving i noticed that my steering is too loose to be safe, like while taking small turns on a road (as opposed to a stop sign)i have to have the wheel at 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn just to turn and to change lanes, it goes like 1/2 way around. It's dangerious because when i have to swerve suddenly, it doesn't react fast enough. Also at freeway speeds it is loose. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Lot's of moving parts under there that need to be checked. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch from underneath. Watch the drag link ends for any deflection...that's the bar that goes from the steering box to the front diff. Watch the ends of the tie rod as well...that's the long bar that goes from one side to the other in front of the diff. Watch the frame where the steering box is mounted to it. Cracks and breakage around the box are common...your's may be broken. If all that checks out return the wheels to straight and jack up one tire. Using a long bar pry up from the bottom...if your ball joints are worn the tire will move up and down a bit and the bottom of the tire will also move outwards some. Most of the parts aren't too expensive, just kinda labor intensive.

Rene

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your steering box may be out of adjustment. On the top of the box there is a screw with a nut on it, loosen the nut then tighten down the screw until you feel it "touch." Then back it off a hair and tighten the nut down. And like stated above, check all your rod ends, frame, ball joints, etc.

4. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

See if your frame cracked where the steering box attaches...

5. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

all of the ideas above are great and you should do all of them it maight also be that your steering box is just worn out mine is going bad and its doing something to that effect as i expected it would when i bought it but the number of times you have to turn the steering wheel around also has do do with the size of steering wheel you are using like the guy who had my blazer before me thought it would be a good idea to put a little 12" steering wheel so th make a U-turn i have to spin that damn thing like 2-3 complete times but your problem sounds like it came on suddenly so im thinking it is one of problems that were stated above good luck to ya

-Scott

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the guy who had my blazer before me thought it would be a good idea to put a little 12" steering wheel so th make a U-turn i have to spin that damn thing like 2-3 complete times

[/ QUOTE ]

1 turn of a steering wheel is one turn of a steering wheel regardless of diameter.

I put smaller diameter wheels on both my rigs just for preference and guage viewing, but a smaller wheels takes less input (distance wise) to make the same movement (although a little more effort) at the steering box. Think how far you hand has to travel to turn a 16" steering wheel one turn as opposed to a 10" wheel..... Your hand should travel less distance to turn a corner with a small wheel than a larger one.

The steering ratio is down in the box, not up in the column so 1 turn is 1 turn regardless of wheel diameter.

Not trying to be an jerk, just clarifying.