Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Very new to CK5 Trucks from St. Louis with a few questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sirjobe, Sep 20, 2005.

1. sirjobe

sirjobe Newbie

I just bought a 89 SLX Sierra. I do not know hardly anything at all about GMC trucks or any truck for that matter. First question, can I replace the dast with a newer style dash say like a 96 type dash? What does it take to do this? Is the wiring basically the same? I just dont like the old style guages and stuff. :hack: Also, is there an inexpensive way to change this truck over to 4-wheel drive? Last one, does anyone know of any good forums that are in my area? Oh, hey, what about some good sites with some parts!?!

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

For parts, check the vendor forum.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Welcome to CK5! :D

Your dash can be swapped, but I don't know what it would take to do it. I would guess it's not an easy task.

What do you consider inexpensive? There really isn't any inexpensive or easy way to convert these 2wd trucks to 4x4's. It would be cheaper to sell what you have and buy a 4x4. A few things needed for a conversion - transmission work, t-case and adapter, cut a hole in the floor, new front and rear driveshafts, maybe new exhaust, matched front/rear axles, leaf springs, fab up some spring mounts...

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I have a friend on base that I helped convert an old Ford F-150 (inline 6/E4OD) into a 4x4 with a 400 modified, np205, rear 9" and a front dana 60, 8" lift, and 36" tires. It was not fun at all, a whole lot of headache and he spent enough money to buy an original 4x4 and build it up and still have money left over.