Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Very nice site!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brutus, Jun 9, 2000.

1. Brutus

Brutus Newbie

Jun 9, 2000
    I've had ColoradoK5 as my home page for about 2 months now, and decided to jump on board. (I've blown most of my day reading messages).
    First, I want to ask what everyone is doing, if anything, to compensate for (93) octane unleaded fuel? I've been adding octane boost which seems to be okay, but I may be having problems because of a lead additive I've been using. I understand lead helped keep the valve-seats fresh?... but I think this additive is gumming up my carb... any thoughts appreciated.

Keep on Plonkin'
  2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

brutus,welcome to the best k5 site on the net,for the octane levels,i run the 91 or 92 at the pump with no additives.my motor runs a true 9.5-1 compression and i have no pinging,so it must work.as far as the lead additive,unless your heads are older,like before 1975 you shouldnt have to use a lead additive.im not sure of the exact year,but all autos from 1975 on had cat converters on them so they would of had to be made for unleaded fuel from the factory.i think the reason for leaded fuel was the lead would lube the valves in the heads.this is what ive been told,im not saying its the gospel truth.i do know unless your motor requires fuel to have lead in it,dont use it.anyway welcome,j.r.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Apr 20, 2000
    Hey man glad you made it, to the Best Site on the Face of this Planet![​IMG] I usually run 89 or 91 octane with no additives either and my performance is great. Granted it's no drag racer, but what do you expect from a K-5!

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]