Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

very poor running 5.7

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by subway21, Jan 1, 2006.

1. subway21

subway21 Registered Member

I have a new factory crate 5.7 with about 10,000 miles on it. It start up fine and runs like it is missing with a strong gas smell at the exhaust pipes. When I give it a lot of gas it starts to bog down like not getting enough feul,also when I run it high like this there is lot of smoking from the exhaust pipes,like the unburned gas is smoking in the pipes. I replaced the temp switch with no effect. Does it sound like the feul pump has had it. I let it sit around for almost a year and start it maybe once evey two weeks just to keep up the battery. Could this also be the problem,maybe clogged feul filter? Was hoping I could figure out myself. If the cat converter is plugged bad could it cause the engine to run poorly? Help? Please note I checked the tbi nozzles which both appear to be running well, I have also disconnected the pollution pump and am just running through the stock air cleaner which has been gutted, disabled the flaps etc in it so no air restrictions, could this be messing up the computer in someway? I checked the vacumn lines all seem to be connected ok and appear to be all right.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

What color is the smoke?

3. subway21

subway21 Registered Member

snow white smoke

4. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

You should pull a plug and see what it looks like. You could have blown a head gasket or cracked a head. Here is a quick tip start your engine and let it run for about three or four minutes at idle. Take a water spray bottle and spray some on the exhaust manifolds close to the head. If the water evaporates quickly there is nothing wrong with that cylinder. If it doesn't evap. you know there is no power in that cylinder. Maybe change oil to see if there is water in oil. Also could do a compression test. I would bet on a head gasket.