Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

very quick question.. Whats the difference between warn standard and premiums?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Feb 23, 2005.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

I searched for the last 20 mins or so, not luck in finding and answer. all i noticed was when anyone asked, everyone said "warn premiums all the way"
    whats the difference?

I ask mostly because i have both, and the look identical. Of course the dial on one is black plastic, and the other is metal, but that never breaks, so what justifies the $50 difference?

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i remember willyswanter saying somewhere that the difference is just that knob....

He said all the internals are the same.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I couldnt really find a difference either other than the knobs.......the premium knob is metal and turns about 3/4 turn to engage. The standard knob is plastic and turns about 1/4 turn. Ive noticed several tube chassis rock buggies with standard hubs so I figured if it works for them it'll work for me. So far I havent broken a standard hub yet :dunno:

4. camarossguy2

Then why is one almost double the price??
    I prefer the 1/4 turn over the 7/8 turn definatly as well, people need to start recomending the standards as well around here, but after i sell the premiums lol

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The premium come with a lifetime warranty.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Not true, seen it a few times. Turning farther is better too, though I can't think of how to explain it exactly.

7. camarossguy2

link might not work http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.asp?parttype=1335&ptset=A&searchfor=Hubs+-+4WD

According to advance and autozone, they both have 1 year warrantees

Im looking at them now, they both function identical...when you turn the knob it simply puts tension on a spring witch pushes on the center gear. if the gears are syncd, or as soon as the wheel moved slightly the gears will mesh and the center gear just slides in to the outer gears splines, thus lockign it. there both identical inside, same metals same pat #, its just the cap.

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

linky no workie :dunno:

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Well the premiums ARE lifetime warranty despite what autozone :rolleyes: says. And I think the 1/4 turn vs 7/8 turn is something along the lines of leverage...7/8 having more leverage to do the same job.

I think you are also paying a premium for fit and finish as well, the premiums are nicers look hubs...not that a lot of people care about that on their wheeling truck.

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the internals are the same, but you can't put the premium caps on the standard hubs or vise verse. the thread size is different between the two and IIRC the premium has the smaller thread.

i think the main diference is in the cap. after a while, ive had the standard hubs cap spin to lock going down the road, this was on a ford though.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The biggest difference is sealing. I had warn "standards" and had issues with water getting in. I did not "wheel" the vehicle or go through water crossing. This was a DD/plow truck and after the winter I would check my u-joints and wheel bearings and I would have water contamination in the grease as well as signs of oxidation (assuming from the salt) on the inside of the hubs.

I switched to premiums and had no issues.

Also had a hub come unlocked in the standards........ It could have been that I did not engage it all the way (don't know for sure), but I like the "security" of having the furthur turn in the premiums than the standards.

That being said: You could probably seal the standards better with some RTV around the housing, allen bolts, and put grease on the outside of the dial where it meets the housing to help prevent water intrusion.

12. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I went through three sets of plastic hubs before I went Premium. (no name, super winch, and Warn standard) The Warn standards MELTED on my first drive from Boston out to Colorado. I finally ponied up the money for the Premiums -after I had already paid for two sets worth :rolleyes:

I managed to blow up one of the premiums...But it didn't matter! I took the blown up one down to 4wheel parts, they handed me a new one, and I walked out, no paper work or anything.

-Warn Premiums all the way :cool:

13. Kiqman

Kiqman 1/2 ton status

Ask the Manufacturer

I've been looking into new hubs. According to the WARN site there is a difference. www.warn.com