Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VERY stiff Gas pedal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

An 89' K5 with an extremely stiff gas pedal....What's the cure? I'm talking, you really gotto step on it to move the pedal down. I guess it's ok for the street, but when wheelin and need the slow crawl, this can be a problem (incase I step on it too hard). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Maybe the throttle cable is hanging up somewere, when I put my new Edelbrock carb on I had the same prob just had to mess with it a bit, and its still a little stiff because of the difference in the carbs throttle linkage hope that helps...

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, most likely your throttle cable...just watch out, cause when mine got stiff like that, soon after it broke when I went to floor it...luckily I was within a few blocks of my neighborhood and idled it home. I put in the new cable and it was so much smoother! Also, check your brackets at the carb, make sure nothing is binding...or the cable is not frayed...

4. deothrwhtmt

deothrwhtmt Registered Member

Is the carpet or floor mat getting caught under the pedal?

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah maybe theres a midget under your peddle . sorry LMAO

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Check the return springs. They may be bound by rust or too heavy.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

i had the same prob w/my old jeep.it finally broke when i nailed it,and stuck wide open!!![​IMG]i didnt panic and shut it down.i wasnt as lucky as kpanza i was 35 miles from home at 10:00 pm.it made for a real long ride home pullin kite string tied to the carb,out the window!!!![​IMG]still dont know where the kite string came from!?!?

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A>

8. 84K5WITHAJUNK305

84K5WITHAJUNK305 Registered Member

Try squirting a little WD-40 or 30 weight oil down the cable housing and make sure it's not binding anywhere.

A broken 84 k5 and lots of mud, it sucks to be me

9. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Is your throttle hard to push thru the whole range, or is it sticking while coming off the idle position? I've been thru this recently, with my pedal sticking when coming off idle. I replaced my throttle cable and that helped a little, but the true problem is the sticking in the TBI throttle shaft bushings. You can do a short term fix of this, by using a spray lubricant on the shaft at every point where the shaft enters and exits the TBI body. This has to be repeated every 1000 miles or so because it begins to stick again. Also, after replacing my throttle cable, I realized the cable runs on plastic guides. Try this experiment. Take something like a white grease pencil to mark the orientation of the cable where the cable enters thru the firewall. Then pop it out of the hole in the firewall and remove it on the other end at the TBI. Rotate the cable 180 degrees and push the ends back in place. I think the cable will ride on a different area of the guides which will result in the cable working again like a new cable. I came up with this idea after I replaced my cable. I never tried this but I think it will work. It's worth a try because it will only take a few minutes to do and the cable costs around $45. The cable I removed looked like new but I really couldn't see the wear pattern inside the cable. Also, where you disconnect the cable from the TBI end, there is a small clip . Be careful removing this. It's small and pops off easily, so be careful not to lose it. I actually bought a spare clip when I bought the new cable, just because the clip would be so easy to lose. Good Luck, and if you try this experiment, let me know how it comes out.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

10. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I've always had this problem with mine. I have a 6.2L and changed the cable during the restoration and there is no difference. I think the throttle return spring is too tight.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's with no cutting on a 4" lift.

11. I wound up replacing the throttle cable. It made a world of difference.

12. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

I had the same problem recently and did all of the above and the throttle was still stiff. It turned out to be the throttle body bushings. Disconnnect your throttle cable and turn the throttle by hand,while applying pressure on the bushings in different directions, If the throttle is stiff to move or seems to get hung up in certian positions,,,,,,this is the problem, I am not sure how hard they are to repair,,but in my area parts were not available,,,so I replaced the whole unit.
    Hope I was some help
    Ken

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Good info but did you see how old the post is?

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>