Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VERY stupid question -p

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4swede, Oct 4, 2002.

1. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

But how in the hells do I get the check engine soon lamp to stop lite up?? I switched all stuff but a new engine/tranny hehe
    And no I cant RTFM either since I dont have one hehe (didnt find anything in either haynes or chiltons about it)

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Try disconnecting the battery. Even if you fixed the problem, the computer can store the trouble codes. Unhook it for a couple minutes and then hook it back up. If the light comes back you havent fixed the problem.

3. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

If your truck runs excellent... which I am sure it does.. and the light just annoyes you or you have to do pass emissions or something.. the best way to get it to turn off is to go inside the dash and pull the damn bulb out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hook up a scanner to it. You might have problems getting one over there, but here, on Ebay, they can be had for $130 or so. I should sell mine and buy one of the OBD2 and OBD 1 scanners. Mine only works with OBD1, which is what yours is.

Not fixing the problem will most likely result in decreased engine performance.

5. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I dont know if this will work for you but I have a shop manual for my camaro saying to clear trouble codes, pull the 3 amp ECM fuse for 10 seconds with the ignition off. If you havent found out why the light is on in the first place you can get a code by sticking the two ends of a paper clip in the two top right slots in the plug thing under the dash. If you want to do this PM me and I can try to explain how to read the codes and tell you what the codes mean as long as they are the same as my camaro.
    Hope this helped.

Joe

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There is no such thing as a stupid question. There are, however, many stupid people who ask questions. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif No, just kidding!.

Yes, these trucks give you the codes for free. Just use a wire or paper clip on the ALDL connector under the dash. Post the code here and someone will decipher it for you. Then reset the ECM to get rid of the code and see if it comes back. Without resetting it, it takes a whole bunch of ignition cycles to turn off the light. If the code comes back, that tells you where to look.

7. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

WEEEHAAA
    Thanks for all the inputs guys!!!!!!!!!!
    Fixed it by disconnecting the batt for over a hour )
    No more light annoying my towards insanity (more I guess since Im insane already ,got me a Blazer didnt I?)
    Getting myself a comp to get the codes out,, I prolly gona need it later on anyway )

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I got one of those code scanners specific for GM that covers all the way to 95 and some 97 GM's for $50.
    If you want one let me know I could probably ship it to you cheap enough.
    It's 4" long by 2" wide and one inch thick and comes with a manual.
    IceMan

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The paper clip trick works as good as any of the cheap "code readers" if you are going to spend money, get a "live data" scanner, but don't spend money on one that only tells you codes.