Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Viability of Gen 2 Doubler for daily driver?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bigerik, Apr 6, 2001.

1. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

I have 2 big Chevy 1 ton SWB trucks with 10" lifts and 38.5 and 39.5 Swampers. The 4 wheeling that I do is extremely challenging (muddy, steep up and down, etc.--no rocks yet). These trucks are my daily drivers. They have 350s (RV cams), 3 speed auto trannies and 5.13:1 gear ratios. I now have a parttime NP203 in the Blazer and a tired NP208 in the Shortbed. Is the Gen 2 Doubler viable for (these) daily drivers? My round trip to work is less than an hour, and I would definitely want to err on the side of 4WD prowess. Trucks have major upgrades--check 'em out at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com>http://www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com</A>.

2. BMRCCR

BMRCCR Registered Member

Is the Gen 2 Doubler viable for (these) daily drivers?

Why not? The doubler is about the same size as a 203, so your driveshafts won't be straight up and down or anything. If you currently don't play in the rocks, though, why do you want it? Maybe for the steep up and down? Although it will work in mud, dirt, etc., I personally wouldn't spend $800+ on installing one if I never hit the rocks or slow speed trails. I do though, and I am putting a doubler in my K5 that also has a 203 in it. My only worry was driveshaft length, but after I found out it wouldn't be a problem, I decided to go for it. Just a few random thoughts. And sorry Stephen, I wasn't trying to scare buiseness away :).

Anthony

3. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Definitely for the steep up and particularly downhill. It would be great to have compression braking (I don't have a granny gear) on a steep descent as it is scary otherwise, even with the 5.13s. As you know, if one taps the brakes, a skid may result and take one offcourse. I was wondering if the Gen 2 Doubler would function reliably for over 100K miles, as opposed to having some internal shaft become loose after tens of thousands of miles. I understand that the Gen 2 Doubler is gonna cost $2,200 before installation and related modifications, so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to fuss with it for several years.

4. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

I am in a position now where my NP208 won't stay in 4Hi at high rpm (unacceptable!), so I either need to buy a remanufactured NP208 for $800 or go to a Doubler. I think that the NP208 is kind of lame with its aluminum case, and 2.61 gearing is about as high as I would want (the 2.0:1 gearing in the other truck's NP203 is just plain ugly!). Also, who wants a chain-driven t-case turning 39.5X18 Boggers? That seems like it would cause chain stretch and loss of torque...but I could get 3 NP208s for the price a Gen2 Doubler! But I love to crawl!! I am still undecided. What say you, fellow K5er?

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I just got my doubler finished up and I think it is just great. My truck is not a daily driver, by for me the road charactoristics did not change one bit with the doubler. As for reliability, All it is is a 203 range box and a 205 case. The adapter is fully welded and machined steel. So it is just as reliable as these cases were from the factory. in other words it should be bullet proof short of 1800hp alcohol motors. I would recommend it .

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken