Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Viable product?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Feb 12, 2007.

?

Do you think my dash is a viable product?

1. Yes - It would sell like hotcakes and its about time someone made one!

102 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Yes - It would sell ok, enough to be worth it..

155 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. No - Might sell a few, but most will go other routes...

17 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. No - You'd sell 3 a year and lose money...

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. I prefer to sit in my truck and look at my dash naked..

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ok, after much consideration, I'm looking to put my dash into production...

This isn't so much a "would you personally buy one" type of poll, but more of a "do you think there's a market for it" type poll...

I'm concerned that only selling 10 would be a waste of time, effort and cash... Whereas if I could sell 50 to 100 over the course of a couple years, it would be worth it.

I don't mind setting up a website and promoting it to other C, K, Blazer and Burb owners, infact I think that might be fun... As far as I know, it will fit any of those from 73 to 91.. Pretty large assortment of applications imo.. Maybe eventually doing other makes and models of vehicles down the road...

Initially, I would offer it in a base model, no gauge holes drilled and delivered in primer... Finishing in any color would be available at the onset for a nominal fee.. Semi black, Gloss, silvers or any other color could be done upon request, as could predrilling for different gauge series and layouts too...

Eventually I would like to have complete ready to drop in options available in different configs, color, gauge selection, switching, layout and prewired. Just wire the leads to the appropriate wires and go... Maybe have a configuration type function on the website for people to setup what they want with pricing and possibly pictures to show them what it will look like..

At this time tho, the stocking of a wide array of gauges would put that on the backburner.. Tho if allowed proper lead time I could work it out with customers wanting that service now....

I do know of Covan's offering, but am thinking a custom, made for that truck, angled dash would be something people might really like...

For any who have been living under a rock and have not seen it, this is the dash in question..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK here are my thoughts.

1.) Make a simple model oil psi, water temp, speedo, tach and fuel three switches. Sell it on eBay and see what kind of bids you get.

2.) Make and sell on eBay just the holder/ bezel as drilled

3.) Make an option so if they have air it could still be used.

4.) Get web site up and pimp away.

5.) Send one to a TV show to use in a Truck Build.

You know what cost you have in man hours and material. Try to use items that are sold at pep boys or auto zone so you do not have to stock them (less cost for you).

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think it would sell, but you'd need to cover the few changes/options over the years. Earlier years use a chunk of the lower left real estate for the wiper/washer switch. Rigs with a/c use the upper right corner for a vent. Be sure that you're ready to deal with the variables before you commit cash and time to the venture. :cool1:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with Metrodps that eBay is the place to try it out. Post up here, on PBB, CarolinaK5 and on 4x4mecca.com to let people know that they are available.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Heres the thing you never know until you try, I say go for it. Keep it simple at first and then as you sell more you could add options. Ebay is a good place to sell them, I know several freinds when they buy something new first thing they do is search on ebay to see what cool stuff they can get.

6. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I like it, looks way better that the stock set-up. But like some of the others said, would need a place for the a/c and the a/c heater controls. Which you could easily do by moving the 2 gauges on the right to the empty holes on the other side.

7. ryoken

I guess I should have specified a few other things...

I assumed most had followed the evolution of the dash.. Try not to pay attention to the layout as its pictured, all holes are filled at this point, and the 2 indicator lights to the right are now actually gauges.. I run 10, but I will configure it to each customers needs...

It was originally configured with the hole on the lower right for heater controls.. Thats where I had the controls when I had stock heat.. It's an easy mount... An AC vent could easily be install where the 2 gauges on the right are... As could any stock wiper or light switch on the lower left...

None of these options are difficult... Like I said, the base dash would be a blank, but could be configured however someone wants it...

I would definitely be selling them on Ebay, really should have mentioned that... Tho I'm thinking now that ones offered on Ebay should be set up for people not as "do it yourself" as this forum, meaning I should have those be predrilled for lights, wipers, heat, gauges, etc.. With of course the option to customize..

Come on guys, vote up! Little disappointed in the amount of votes to views... Even if you hate me or the dash, vote... :wink1:

8. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I voted.... and I hate you and the dash!!!:eek1: :haha: :haha:

hahaha, just kidding man.

I am honestly going to say that if you still have some kickin' around by the time I have money in my wallet again, I will contact you.

I like the look, and the fact that I won't have to either A) butcher my existing dash, and B) or go with gauges spread out over the top of the dash.

And lastly C) I need a new dash anyways, hahaha

9. ryoken

I'm just trying to get a feel for this....

I'd love to do it, it's just a fair amount of labor producing a working mold, buying resin in bulk, right up instructions, etc...

And thats labor I could very well be sinking into my truck.. Once the mold is made, producing them at a later date will be cake...

There is some minor metal modding to do behind the bezel to make it fit, mainly the 2 sheetmetal "up" posts at the bends and the little "hoop" over the column, neither is a big deal and pretty simple..

I'd also love to do one in digital for someone, think that would be pretty trick too...

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what is your time worth? if you can get all your supplies shipped to you and you can ship the dash from where you make it and not have to take them to a ups store or the post office then thats helpful. Don't forget packaging materials and the cost of the ebay ad.

If after everything is totaled you are making more per hour then if you went to your regular job then it's a good idea. even if you are making a salary you still have an average hourly rate.

You have a huge base of vehicles to market this to. I would think that 2wd guys would buy more then the 4wd guys. Whenever I go to a truck show the 2wd guys are the ones doing lots of custom stuff to the interior. mostly because you can't see the underside its so low.

11. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What sort of price point are you thinking? That will be a big factor in the number of sales.

12. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Had a thought! Where the head light and wiper switches are and heater controls would be the difference points as I see it. Why not make those areas modular like a plate that you put on either a/c vent or not and wipers on panel or not.

This would allow one main dash for both styles cutting cost (?) and stream lining the set up.

13. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

The problem with the poll is, IMHO, there aren't enough choices. I did choose it would sell enough to be profitable however.

A lot depends on how it fit, options, prices, quality, etc.

I will say I am interested in a dash product enough I considered fabbing up my own or trying to modify the stock.

If you find there is enough interest check on patents and copyrights. It would suck to get into production and receive a "cease and desist" letter.

Do the guages face the driver? If I'm paying for a dash I'd want to know the guages are actually angled toward the driver and not just flat.

How sturdy is it? The stock config gains strength with the cluster "shell" what support is available for the back of the guages?

Again, options, options, options. One I noticed is a dash dimmer. How easy would it be to put the stock headlight pull switch & turn for dimmingor a dimmer option?

Overall I do think it's a great idea and would be very interested:D

Good luck:waytogo::waytogo::waytogo:

Edited to add:

My personal needed guages. Large Tach, large Speedometer w/ odometer & triptometer. I have a diesel and would want the Tach to top out at 6000rpm. Fuel guage, Engine temp, Oil pressure, Trans temp, Boost, and EGT. I'd like to keep the AC and radio locations as well.:haha: I know that's too many guages for the real estate so could I get matching pods to put the EGT and Boost guages in?

I will want switches of course and will a stock tranny position needle fit this?

Almost forgot lights for Hi-beam & Glow Plugs:doah:

That's just for me so far:haha::haha: Can you dig it Bro? :bow::bow::bow:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  14. ryoken

Excellent points Chaz... Hadn't thought about shipping materials and such... Thinking it'd be a pretty easy piece to ship...

Longbedder.... The question I've been waiting for someone to ask...

At this point, I'm guessing...

I'd like to see the base bezel with no extras in the $250 to 275 range... Cut outs, paint, etc would be nominal additional charges.. Obviously I want to make it as cheap as I can get away with and still make it worthwhile for me... I'm gonna have to see how fast they can be made once the mold is finalized..

I've looked at Covanclassics, and I think I can easily beat their prices on complete dashs... They are charging 250 for this

[​IMG]

basically a modded stock panel, with the bad angle thing going on...

and 850 for a 6 gauge setup... I can beat that easily I'm thinking...

15. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

I think it would be great, especially if the gauges are angled. Alot of people want these dashes, but don't want to do the work.

16. ryoken

Thanks soooo much for all the imput guys! I really, really appreciate it all... I'm a wrench-turner, working guy, so all the self-business imput is greatly needed...

17. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If the fit and finish is good, it seems like folks would pay $250 for the product you describe.

I would not even worry about offering gages. It eases inventory/supply problems on your end, and people could pick their own from Summit or something. The gages are standard sizes for the most part.

18. ryoken

That could be done... if you ditched the AC vent... ;) Also, I'd make different indicator lights available... The smaller, lens only ones to be specifac..

One thing you brought up that I had not even considered.. auto trnny needle... not something I've ever even thought about... at this time, i wouldn't be able to do that.. I'd have to relook at a stock setup to see about the feasability...

19. ryoken

absolutely... I would just like it be full-service for the mechanically impaired/lazy... plus, laying out and designing the dash is fun for me...

initially, i would order gauges as i needed.... customers would just have to be notified that this would lead to a week to 10 day lead time.... at this point, i'm figuring products could go out in anywhere from a couple days to a month, depending on whether they just want a blank, just holes drilled, painted or a full blown gauges installed and wired up thing depending on how involved it is...

20. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Even if you don't produce them, I'll be after you for one when I get around to doing a crew cab. I think it looks tits and the angle correction rocks....and I hate the factory setup.

I say go for it.