Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibrating np 203

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Jul 16, 2005.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

this 77 has my first np 203 it has a mile marker part time kit in it (from previous owner) has 2h 2l n 4h 4l are there common problems that would cause a vibration in these? at highway speeds i get a brrr brrr brrr brrr sound with a slight vibration ( alot like a bad u joint but i just replaced all of them ) also it seams to have alot of rotational play in neutral with the wheels on the ground it turns almost a 1/2" seams like alot consitering my 205 dont have any play

oh yea its fixed yoke at the transfercase if that makes any differnce

balzer

2. original balzer

come on fellas one or two of ya have to know a little bout the np203's please

balzer

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Only bad vibration I had in my 203 was in the factory slip yoke of the driveshaft at the t-case. Had them cut off the driveshaft & replaced.

Another issue could be created by lift. If you've added a lift kit you may need to drop your t-case a few inches.

4. original balzer

it has a 4" lift and 1" drop spacers on the crossmember one thing i just realized is the slip yoke on the driveshaft is at the axle end (backwards) but i wouldnt think that makes any differnce does it?

balzer

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Get under there and try to move it up and down. If it has any play at all I'd get rid of it. Take the slip off and check the splines, might be a problem.

How sure are you it's in the T-case, or are you just taking a best guess? It could be several things, vibration gremlins are tough to pinpoint.

How long has it been vibrating, have you made any changes that would create a problem?

6. original balzer

only motion i can find is rotational it has a fixed yoke not a slip yokei also just realized if the x-case turns 1/2" then my rear gears also have to have that much play in them

piss i dont know its not super bad but intermittenly sounds like somethings gunna let loose

balzer

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I have the exact same vibe you're talking about. I only get it while coasting at highspeeds. I'm running a 6in lift with 35's0---with about a 3in drop on the 203(w/part time kit). I've had the setup for almost a year and a half now and it's never gone away and I've never found the source. But in that time it hasn't hurt or broke anything so I have just kinda left it.

8. original balzer

my noise vib is always there but like casting down a hill or decellerating to turn it gets more noticable i guess ill live with it until something breaks then do a doubler or something lol