Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibrating Shifter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76 jimmy Az, May 31, 2000.

1. 76 jimmy Az

76 jimmy Az Registered Member

Ok this may be a werid ? but these things has been bothering me for a while and maybe you can help. I have a 1976 Gmc Jimmy 350 Manual and when ever i drive my shifter for shifting into 4x4 shakes and makes an annoying sound that gets on my nerves. When i grab the stick it stops and the cabin is quiet. I though it might be loose shifting linkage but that is just a though. IF guys could give me any advice on how to stop this it would be great
    Thanks for takin my question

2. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

there was a post about this on off-road.com.
    basically there is a little bushing where the linkage bolts to the transfer case. it wears out. take it apart, get a bushing from Ace Hardware (actually get different thicknesses), replace it and tighten it all back up.
    the post mentioned something about placing two peices of rubber down to sandwich the lever.
    what i did was got an inner tube, cut it to match the hold down plate for the boot, snipped a hole, slid it over the lever. then i placed some insulation on top of that. put a little dynamat on the lever itself, replaced the boot and the hold down plate.
    it sounds beautiful.....NO SOUND!!!!!
    hope that helps.

Knife.

3. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

I have the same incisive rattle ling that you are talking about in my 79 Blazer. It drives me insane. What the other post recommended will fix your problem. One more thing you need to look at are the linkage bolts themselves. Since I let the rattle go on for soooo long it actually distorted the bolts. They no longer were round and had about a ¼ inch of play. It looks like someone cut a grove in them. I had to replace them as well.

There is a VERY fine line between hobby and mental illness

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Gosh dang!! Too much work guys!!! Just take a bungee cord and connect it to your shifter and then connect the other end under your seat. It will provide slight rearward pressure and prevent the shifter from rattling!!!

ken