Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibrating truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dogdaysunrise, Jul 27, 2005.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I just did my u-joints about 2 weeks ago, and all seemed well (besides that clunking at the pinion, and that turned out to be nothing big) anyways, I was going to down the highway and at about 60mph I get this wicked vibration, all through the truck. Would a backwards drive shaft cause anything? It's a balanced aluminum driveshaft so you would think no. Could the u-joints have gone bad? I just noticed it for the first time a couple of days ago.

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

make sure the caps of the u jounts are tight. Put the rear end on jack stands and spin the drive shaft, make sure its not bent or off center.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

did you put the yoke on in the same spot you took it off? i did it backwards one time and same thing. fliped it and 100% better.

always mark the parts to the shaft as it is balenced this way. you would think it wouldnt make a big problem but it does sometimes.

4. dogdaysunrise

i found and fixed the problem today. One of the snap rings let go on the u-joint and the cap started backing out. Its a damn good thing i finally noticed it, I must have looked at it, although quickly a handful of times and all seemed well. :doah: Well all is well now. coulda been real bad. :D

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

glad you got it fixed before it got bad :o

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

wheel bearing?

7. dogdaysunrise

no bearings were good, the cap was almost off the u-joint. I guess a snap ring had let go and it was backing off on the highway. i'd say 1 more day with it like it was and I was getting a new truck.