Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration at 5k RPM

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Aug 21, 2005.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I put a new water pump on my 98 Pickup yesterday and now at 5k or so RPM I have a vibration that I can feel throughout the truck. Im guessing it could be the pulley not quite on right or something to that effect. What are yall's guesses?

2. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

hI, I had this same problem with a new waterpump I purchased from autozone. We installed the pump started it tried driving it around the block but vibrated too much. took it back home pulled the fan and pully back off to check everything and it seemed ok. put it back together, tried driving around the block, got upto around 30mph and the waterpump blew apart, sending cast iron peice right into the hood leaving a nice dent, and the fan taking out the fan shroud and cutting a tube on the radiator. Never found out why it did this, we just figured it had a bent shaft or something, Autozone wouldnt do anything to cover any of the other damages, but they took the waterpump back saying that we must have tightend the belt too tight or our fan was out of ballance, Funny the Napa pump never blew up :rolleyes:

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Interesting mine is a new Autozone pump as well, Im going to take it apart today or tommorow and make sure everything is put together right. I also happen to work at the Zone so if anything goes wrong Ill be damned if they dont do anything to rectify the situation.. A bad shaft or bearing does make sense though :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

well hopefully its just something simple. luckily mine blew up on an old crap 84 chevy pickup, wasnt too worried about the damage except to the radiator, but it was an easy fix.

Also make sure the bearings fit tight into the housing, I had one that had the wrong bearing in it and the shaft would move around a good 1/16 of an inch.

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a similar situation on mine.... turned out to be the fan clutch..... don't know why it started doing it when I put the new water pump on but that was the culprit

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Autozone pumps...ughh..

I put a "13.99" special on my van from autozone during a motor swap,to avoid the backacke of changing a water pump IN the van after the motor was installed(I figured the pump would croak as soon as the engine was in,so I bought a rebuilt from Autozone)...two weeks and less than 150 miles later,the pump was leaking out of the "pee" hole,and the shaft was wobling like crazy!--barely got home from the 80 mile ride to my brothers house! :mad: ..

They gave me another pump free--but that didn't make me too happy,knowing I now had the ballbusting job of replacing it with the motor IN the van now... :doah: :angry1: :angry1: something I TRIED to avoid by doing things the "right" way.. :rolleyes: :crazy: