Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration at freeway speeds?? Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by platapus, Jan 25, 2007.

1. platapus

platapus Registered Member

I have a 79 K5 w/ 4" lift and 35s. At about 40MPH on up it begins to vibrate the truck, in a pulsing pattern. It runs smooth, the grows into an annoying vibration then tappers back down over the corse of about 10 secs. It does this over and over. I has done this since I bought it about a year ago.

I just put a new crate motor in it. I figured it was tire related, so I put brand new rims and tires, still no help, I had the drive shaft legthened to the proper size for a 4" lift (this was never done) and had the drive shaft rebalanced. THis helped a little, but I still have the same problem?

I have locking hubs, so the front drive train does now move at all while driving.

What else could it be. could the rear axle shafts be bent? or un blalaced?

2. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

How's your pinion angle?

3. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

do you have swampers, thatll do it for sure brand new or not. If your transfercase is a np203, it spins the front shaft the entire time you drive and that could be the culprit.

4. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

id check the tow on the front axle and any/all steering components for loose or damaged parts as well as the shackle bushings as these always get overlooked. Im pretty sure its the swampers, i drove accross country in a 79 pickup a couple years ago and no vibrations at all until 80mph+ on stock tires 235/75/15's. Everything changed when i put 36" swampers on the same truck with no lift and the shimmying vibes started even when the tires were brand new.

5. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 4" on 33's. I had pretty bad vibes until I gave jesse at HAD a call. With my 1350 CV shaft, I can cruise at 90 with very little vibrations. Not saying I do, just that it can if wanted to.

6. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

can a worn slip yoke cause a vib ?

7. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

8. platapus

platapus Registered Member

I have tsl/sx. IT also vibrates the same way with my MT baja belted. I havw a NP 203 with a convertion kit. I have a new drive shaft, new CV joints, and the entire setup was just rebalanced yesterday.