Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration cause??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike87, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

Can the U-joints in the front axle cause a vibration if they are bad? I have a vibration that comes on about 65-70mph and continues to as fast as I can go. I have replaced just about everything in the driveline with the exception of the front axle U-joints. The rear drive angles (output of T/C and rear pinion) are almost dead equal. Can't think of what else to check.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

While in 2-wheel drive, your front axle isn't spinning. That is, unless you have a bad hub locking on the shaft(s). With that in mind, the u-joints on the front axle don't even come into play. If the front driveshaft is spinning while in 2H (it will spin a little, not much), or you can't manually turn the driveshaft while the truck is in 2H and parked, you have another issue entirely, one which I'll let those more knowlegdeable field...

Check your wheel bearings CLOSELY. I had a similar problem with vibration in the same speed range...turned out to be a loose bearing on the drivers side.

Good luck!

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Burbinator on 01/03/02 01:26 PM.</FONT></P>

3. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

yes they can, but had you done anything else around the time this started( put on a lift, offroading, changed axles,) also it could be a slight wheel imbalance (look for a clean spot on rims where it looks like a weight was thrown off.).

4. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Let's clarify...a front u-joint CAN cause vibration ONLY if operating in 4 WHEEL DRIVE.

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

5. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I think I have bad ball joints, or something else in the steering, so I guess that is the next thing that will get rebuilt. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks again,
    Mike