Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibration dampner question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Apr 8, 2007.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

hey all, ive been reading that the 6.2L and 6.5L diesels have a known problem with the harmonic balancer (vibration dampner) coming apart and causing crankshaft failure. Is this a serious enough problem that it would be worth getting an aftermarket unit as a preventative measure? or should i just keep an eye on it and wait for visible signs of failure before replacing it?

2. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if its coming apart then it is probably not something you can monitor without pulling it off and checking it for cracks, maybe even having someone do a dye penetrant inspection. I would say that if you are truely worried about this buy a new one and replace it. If there is a window of failure, say 40-50k miles then replace it that often. I am not personally familiar with this problem but I sure would rather replace a balancer every so often, rather than a whole crank.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Some 6.5TD info is here:
    http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140023

From my understanding the balance on the 6.2L is the same, so it may just be a matter of updating the accessory drive to serpentine.

I am researching these vibration issues more lately since having smashed the clutch in mine 2 weeks ago.:crazy: