Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibration from drivetrain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gator688, Feb 20, 2007.

1. gator688

gator688 Registered Member

Okay so I talked to the guy who installed my lift today and he said that the vibration that I get from around 10 mph to 45 mph could be caused by the driveshaft needing to be lengthened. Anyone with 6" lift know anything about this or is the guy just trying to get me to give one of his buddies that builds driveshafts somework. I personnely feel that he just didnt get the angles right but I am new to this and only know what I have learned on the TV shows everyone loves to put down. Not to many people have lifted trucks around me except for those pretty street trucks that never even see a dirt road and they dont count.

Help, Im new, Im new, I dont know what to do!!!!!!!!

2. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

I no they are a little expencive but.....A CV shaft. Have one made they work great

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

If you have a slip yoke t-case (208 or 241) he could be right.

4. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

from the pic it is an 80's Blazer? would be a slip yolk NP208 tcase. I had to drop the tcase a few inches and add a 6deg on the rear 10b to get rid of the vibration. length is not causing the Vib but she might need to be longer just so she is not sticking out to far on the tail shaft. Also with 6" you will have to add a spacer or lengthen the front drive line and clearance it as well so she will not bind.

The vib should be pinion angle. Do a search for more info.

5. 87'k5boggin

87'k5boggin Registered Member

i have the same vibe on my 87' with a 6'' lift and 36's, i have about a 6 degree shim on the axle and it only gets a vibe at 40-45, then past that its smooth.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The angle is probably off, but the driveshaft probably needs to be lengthed also.
    Once you get the angles where they need to be, you may find that your Dshaft will be maxed out at ride height.

Pics of your angles would help.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put a 4" lift in mine and at first lowered the pinion angle to get rid of vibration and get proper pinion angle. Then due to the shaft being a bit too short for comfort on full suspension drop I bought an HAD cv shaft and angled the pinion up to the proper angle to suit. Now I have no vibration at all from crawl up to over 100 mph.

8. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

I had a 6 degree shim and still had the vibe. I had a local shop build my cv. It fixed the problem

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I just got my CV shaft in from HAD. It is purdy.
    Ok, back to the topic.

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They sure are and don't you just love getting parcels that you need a tool kit to open!!!:D