Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mule man, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Mule man

Mule man Registered Member

I have a '79 K-20 with the 465/205 combination. I have dealt with a slight vibration for 2 years. It developed and is not the result of a crash. I can jack the rear off the ground and the drivers side rear wheel hops up and down. I have gone from the 2 piece driveshaft to a 1 piece that was balanced and has new U joints. I installed a 2" lift a few years ago that has the blocks for the back. They are tapered to give a better driveline angle. I have dropped the tranny/transfer case so that the transfer case is pointing straight at the rear pinion. I have tried new tires and rims and there was no change. The wheel hop is only on the drivers side. Could a bent axle tube cause a speed specific virbration? Sorry for the long post but I am close to the end of my rope. Any help, opinion or advice will be greatly appreciated. I know this is not a K5 but this seems to be the forum with the greatest number of people who actually know what they are talking about.

2. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you got a full floater rear end.you can tell if you have the 8 bolts in the center of your rim . your rear hub bearings are shot and need to be replaced. is there alot of gear oil leaking from that same tire that hops?

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Is any oil leaking from the shock on that side?

4. Mule man

Mule man Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. There is no oil leaking from the shock. I have replaced the wheel bearing and seal. The old bearing was still tight. It's a 14 bolt full floater axle. Vibration begins about 53 and becomes less obvious about 65. I have swapped different tires and rims. No change. I have BF Goodrich 265-75R16's on the truck. Nothing radical. It seems to be worse when pulling a load (6,000-8,000 lbs.) Thanks again.