Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibration in 4WD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by captainehh, Nov 27, 2001.

1. captainehh

captainehh Newbie

Hey guys- Ive got an 86 K5 Blazer that lives with me in Colorado. Recently, when i engage four wheel drive, it feels as if i'm constantly driving over a washboard surface whenever i exceed 10mph. Any suggestions as to what's causing the vibration would help me out a bunch. Thanks in advance. Ashley

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Could be a bad u-joint, worn/sloppy driveshaft splines, or a bent driveshaft. Fill out your profile, so we know where in Colorado you live. Several of us here live in Colorado as well, so may be close enough to take a look at your K5 for you. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I'd say front u-joints too or the slip joint in the middle of the shaft. The slip joint went in mine and the whole drivehsaft would push up and down and side to side about a half inch. Maybe hubs????

<font color=blue>Brilliance is like 4wd, it allows you to get stuck in a more remote location [​IMG]</font color=blue>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The C/V joints in the front don't usually go out (at least until after everything else up front has had a turn) so My guess is the driveshaft to pinoin U-joint or one of the front axle-shaft U-joints. Those tend to freeze up after a while if you don't use 4WD for a while.

I just changed out my front axleshaft U-joints when I had them out for regearing the front diff. Had them out last winter doing ball joints and they worked like new. Now they wouldn't even move in one direction. Took them apart and a pile of rust dust came out!

If you haven't changed U-joints in a long time, it's time anyway. If that doesn't fix it, look at the driveshaft. By the time you get the U-joints changed, you probably will have found the problem anyway.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>