Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration in Divetrain.Pulled covers off differential and chocolate milk...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rekvehicle, Apr 17, 2003.

1. rekvehicle

rekvehicle Registered Member

came out.Stinks too.What kind of damage should I expect and how do I look for it.Corporate 12 bolt rear. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sounds like it was old AND wet. It's normal for the gear lube to stink.

(Aside: The only worse smell from a car than old gear lube is GM factory supercharger oil. I don't know what that stuff is, but is it animal-based. You would rather smell your butt...)

If the vibration came on recently, it may or may not be from the contaminated gear lube. If it is in the rear axle, chances are you've wasted a bearing. This may not be so bad, you'll just have to check it out. Did anything come out with the gear oil? Any chips or visible problems inside? When was the differential lube last changed? You will need to examine and clean or replace the wheel bearings. You should also look at the carrier bearings. You will probably have to pop the carrier out to do this. If so, make good notes of how everything came apart. As long as you put it back together the same way, it will be fine. If you take the carrier out, take the opportunity to check out the pinion bearings.

I think you should still do a full check out of the driveline. Look for bad U-joints in the driveshaft, loose slip-splines and check to be sure the pinion nut is tight.

Since there was contamination, you should check out the axle and pinion seals and check the vent tube for cracks/leaks.

3. rekvehicle

rekvehicle Registered Member

Re: Vibration in Divetrain.Pulled covers off differential and chocolate mil

Don`t know when it was last checked .Nothing came out ( metal, that is)when I popped the cover .I just bought the truck a year ago and just started going thru it and replacing broke stuff first then the remainder of the old stuff.It has a new GM crate motor .