Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration in my '03 2500 suburban above 60 MPH

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The Butcher, Nov 24, 2006.

1. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For some reason my 'burb has developed a shake in the seats above 60 MPH. The steering wheel stays true, but the seats (and the rest of the back) get a noticeable shimmy when I get above 60 MPH. It is more noticeable some times than others. It is almost as if it will catch an irregularity in the road and then amplify the shimmy.

I have a 6" RCD lift kit, and 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers. When I put the kit on I took the driveshaft to a local shop and had them lengthen the shaft (can't recall how much, but my mechanic measured it and told me at the time how much longer it needed to be). This is a 2003 2500 suburban 4x4.

I have had the tires rotated and balanced twice, and that did not solve the problem. I got underneath and tried to wiggle the rear driveshaft, but it is snug as can be so i am guessing it isn't slop in the u-joints. The kit has about 40,000 miles on it, and the truck has about 46,000. I would guess the vibration started about 5,000 miles ago. Maybe a little longer. Anyone know how to make this annoying shake stop? Thanks.

2. The Butcher

Anyone have an idea what it might be? It's real annoying, and I'd like to figure out how to stop it! Thanks.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did ya check your frontend?

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

sounds like a driveshaft shake to me, id check to see if its thrown any weights...

5. The Butcher

From what I could see, the shaft still has the weight attached. I didn't notice any place where it looked like a weight might have come off.

If the front end was out of alignment, i would think the steering wheel would shake. It doesn't at all.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was thinking loose tierod end....

7. The Butcher

I would still think I might get some feedback in the steering wheel if it was a front end issue. There isn't even the slightest vibration there though. Kind of frustrating. Thanks for the input though!

8. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Does it onpy happen in gear? Ie if you were going down the road at 60 and put it in neutral does it still happen?