Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration in rear at 60 + mph

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backlash, Oct 15, 2001.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

My 88 has, on and off, always had an intermittet vibration in the rear at highway speed. Tire balancing has no effect. I know this is a big can of worms, but ...

Thoughts are

1) never got a decent balance on the stock aluminum wheels
    2) drive shaft out of balance ... best recommendation for a cure. I have changed u-joints at both end in the past.
    3) Is it possible that something is bad in the rear end? Once while stopped, with wheels turned to the left, I hit the gas hard and the right wheel did not seem to turn, spin etc. the engine rev'ed tranny and shaft turned,but felt like the power didn't tranfer to the wheel. I do not believe I was on gravel. Is it possible that a spider gear or the locking diffenetial is bad and therefore causing vibration?
    \
    Any thoughts?

Thanks,

BB

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

you can try having your driveshaft balanced. or you might have a bad tire, if you put the rear tires on the front do you feel the vibration on the steering wheel? if so then the tire or wheel is bad. if it was in the rearend itself i would think you would have more problems then just a vibration.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thanks,

I've always had troubles with newly balnced tires sliggin these factory weights. Regardless if they were done at the dealer or any tire store. Seems to be more intermitent, so I guess the drivshaft would be the best start.

How much should I expect to spend? Do they need the truck or just the shaft?

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, check out the tires.

Also, do you have a lift? Driveshaft angles might be too sharp causing the vibration, so you might have to do the t-case lowering...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

5. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking a rear end problem, as stated previously, would have more symptoms (i.e. noises of some sort). I'd say driveshaft balance, bent rim, tire out of round, maybe even the wheel bearings. Since tire balancing seems to have no effect, you could toss that on the back burner, but not totally eliminate it just yet until you check out the other possibles. Good luck and keep us posted!

The learning curve is a toll road...ride with someone who has already paid!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/abshort1>My Naval Fleet</a>

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

This is a stock set-up. But, I did have a bad rim and bought a couple used ones many years ago ... had the same effect. Guess I need to get some tires and wheels that I know are balanced and run them.

Also I've had 3 or 4 brands of tires since this truck is new. This was not a problem the first few years, but ....