Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stormbringer, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Registered Member

Hi All!

I have an 87 K5 305 TBI that's bone stock,and not lifted, 194,000 miles on it.

It idles fine, and doesn't miss when accelerating from a dead stop, but it has developed a shake that's very pronounced from 25 to 45 mph, sort of like driving over a washboard.. over 45 and on the freeway, it's not so pronounced, but I do still feel the shake in the seat of my pants.. more of a rumble really. The shake becomes more pronounced again if I'm cruising at part throttle uphill, and I deaccelerate slightly..

I've changed the cap & wires ( the plugs only have 5k miles on them ) and I changed the EGR valve, all to no avail. new tires too. This problem started a few months ago right when I sheared the rear u joint, on the rear shaft.. The tranny shop said I didn't tear the yokes up, so I just had them put on new joints. The vibration wasn't there before the u joint incident.

Also, I did just find that I have some movement on the lower drivers side ball joint when I shake the tire.. could that be causing the vibration? maybe an ignition miss at mid range RPM's? A worn pinion yoke?

Thanks for any help.
    Tom /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My guess would be slip yolk. Its most likely a driveline related problems since the problem developed directly after a driveline related failure. Sometimes shoips tighten the u-joint straps too tight as well and it leads to another u-joint failure. They should be snug, but not torqued tight. Block the tires on level ground and put the truck in neutral, no e-brake. Then get under there and see if you can wiggle the slip yolk - it should be snug.

3. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

I'd start by checking u joints, wheel balance, and the ft. steering and suspension parts. I see your also from the Cleveland area. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My guess would be the u-joints. I would get under there and check them.
    Harrison

5. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Registered Member

<<My guess would be slip yolk.>>

Thanks Mike, and everyone else who responded. I did what mike suggested, and I found that I had some play, both up and down, and side to side. I also found that the rear u joint wasn't staying centered in the pinion yoke. Even with the bolts tight, I could still move it so the bearing cap would move out past the yoke itself. My guess is that's a major source of my problem.

I did have the ball joints replaced, and I just got back from summit racing, where I picked up a moroso u joint girdle, which ought to keep that thing right where it's supposed to be.. I know the better fix would be to have all new stuff put in, but that's not financially possible yet.

I'll keep you posted on what happens after I put the girdle on. ( I know, that sounds sick ).. Just wanted to check in and say thanks.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif