Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration, opinions please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 14, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Having a noticeable vibration from like 35+. I replaced my U Joint which helped(was horribly dead), rotated my tires(did nothing), and switched to another driveshaft. WHen I am driving along and drop it out of gear the vibration goes away, if I let off the gas it lessens. I think it is there at all speeds just not really noticable till 35. Any opinions? Really hoping its not my tranny, if it is I am on the hunt for an NV4500 if anyone can direct me /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

2. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Did you replace all universals on the driveshaft? Get the driveshaft balanced.

3. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

If its happening under load its almost definitely the driveshaft. When I was getting a lot of axle wrap, the more the pinion would turn up the worse the vibration got, because it was obviously disaligning the driveline. Is there anything youve done to the truck lately?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I considered the drive shaft balancing but I tried 2 different shafts and they both vibrated badly. Of course they both had bad u joints. I am going to go tonight and get 2 new u joints for the other shaft that way I have an extra, probably put it in in place fo what I have now to see if it gets better.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm fighting the same beast. I finally bought shims and it worked great........for about a 1/2 mile and it all came back /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I'm going to have the tires balance tested with them on the vehicle. I talked to a driveline guy and he recommended I do that first. Not sure how they do it but when I mentioned I had Discount Pathfinder tires he shook his head and laffed /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'll keep you posted on what I find out. He saw the driveline angles and even pulled a cap off of the u joint and shrugged his shoulders. Said it all looked fine.