Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibration problem HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Jun 19, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

When I am on the freeway or even at 35 mph i am getting a vibration. it seems to be related to speed, not rpm. I assume that rules out the tranny. I have heard it is likely my pinion bearings. is there any other test that can be done to distinguish/rule out tire wear, driveline, pinion bearing or any other possible root to this problem. I suspect that my gear ratio may be too high also. Would this cause vibration problems as well? thanks.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If the vibe always happens at a specific speed, regardless of what RPMs you're running, it could very likely be driveshaft related.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

it could be as simple as your tires being out of balance.

4. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

I'm betting driveshaft.

5. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same thing at the same speed, ever since we lifted it last year. Nothing is binding. It is worse since I broke the rear u-joint and slightly bent the yoke. I'm hoping it goes away when I replace the driveshaft/rear axle this week. I suppose you could take off the rear shaft and drive it in front wheel to help isolate the cause. We lifted the truck on a hoist and while I put it in gear and let off the brake, hubby observed the driveshaft looking a bit like it was going up & down. That was a pretty good indication of a driveshaft problem.

6. DOCKAWI650

DOCKAWI650 Registered Member

this happend to my 87 suburban....If it is the same thing, there is a bushing for the driveshaft and this is worn out.
    -doc

7. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

blance your tires, or if you got alot of dirt on you rims you might have that problem

8. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Mine had a pretty rough vibe also. I balanced the tires and I noticed a major difference. I have Swampers and they aren't the easiest to keep balanced. It's kind of a pain.

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Use Equal (not the sugar substitute either /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) on the inside of the tires. It's expensive but you'll never have to worry about weights flying off, it's self balancing. You'll have to call around to find it though.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Use Equal (not the sugar substitute either /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) on the inside of the tires. It's expensive but you'll never have to worry about weights flying off, it's self balancing. You'll have to call around to find it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be sure to use clean dry air or the stuff will coagulate and not work anymore.
    Moisture is the enemy of equal.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif