Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibration still killing me!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flyguy33, Dec 31, 2002.

1. flyguy33

flyguy33 Registered Member

Thanks for your input...So far I've isolated the vibration to the front...The truck only has a 3 inch body lift otherwise the whole truck is pretty stock...I'm thinking a wheel bearing is loose cuz the truck tends to pull to the right when i brake to a full stop not to mention the stock steering stabilizer looks pretty shot...So, i don't know..I checked the driveshafts and it looks like it has been balanced non of the weights look like they fell off ( the welds look pretty new..) and everything else seems to check in (visually looking that is) Oh, and it seems to be leaking in between the tranny end and the transfer case...Is this a hard job to handle? I'm thinking its just a seal, that they didn't put in (no seal visible)....Thanx again

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Does the vibration start when you brake or is it constant no matter what?
    If it's when braking, it could be a warped rotor.
    Just a thought, since you say it's stock suspension.
    Also did you check the Tires?
    I don't know what you already checked since obviously this is a folowup on a previous thread that I didn't read.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. flyguy33

well, the things is it does from 50mph and this is during normal driving gets worse as I get up to about 75 or so but starts to smooth out a bit after a get passed 80 but its more of a faster vibration that seems like it is smoothing out so I don't know I don't want to have to tear apart something and have it be something else, I've only got so much time on hand to work on it since its my daily driver now....
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

steering stabilizers sometimes help "fix" these problesms, go and get yurself a new one, i got a new one at autozone for 26.99 with a life time warentee /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, just be prepared to torch out the bolt that holds the stabilizer on the tie rod, we had to on my truck. but its up to you if you wanna replace it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it smooths out on faster speeds, then it's something in the drivelins area, when there is a load on it it gives, when you pick up speed and it only has to sustain the speed it smooths out.
    Another thing has happened to me, what pressure do you keep your tires at on the street?
    if the tire is not filled enough, at lower speeds it is not round but when the centrifugal forces push it out to a round shape from higher rotationnal speeds it smoothes out the ride.
    Try different pressures or try rotating the tires see if the vibe moves or goes away.

6. flyguy33

thanx for the bit, I'll try to disconnect the front driveshaft and see if it goes away, I tried to lift the rear of the truck up and and ran the wheels as fast as i could but didn't get a vibration similar to the one I get while on the freeway....Hope thats the problem

7. cheyenne_77

cheyenne_77 Registered Member

wheel balancing , thats all it sounds like. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the truck tends to pull to the right when i brake to a full stop

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a collapsed brake line to me. does it pull the opposite direction when you let go of the brake?

9. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

culd be a bent rim have someone drive behind you and watch also mud on the inside of the rim will do this