Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration Update

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.Lance, Dec 20, 2002.

1. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

The troubleshooting has begun. Rotated 180 degrees, no effect. Removed rear driveshaft and drove in 4wheel, smooth as silk. So, the vibration is deffinitely in the rear end and not the tranny, x-case, flywheel, motor, or Torque Converter. Took it down to the shop and the guys are going to look at it. I'm still at a loss as for what the problem is seeing how I already replaced all the bearings except for the carrier bearings and the gears looked good.

Some possibles include driveshaft angle but not likely on an unlifted stock vehicle. Carrier bearings. Side gears and spider gears worn out, they looked good but it's sometimes hard to tell on such small gears. Warped or bent axel tubes or axels (hope not). I'll let everyone know how it goes. I know a lot of people have this problem. Also, I did discover that these had chronic torque converter problems which cause a bad shutter but that's not my problem, possibly could be someones cure for their vibration though.

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, all the goodies in the axle are still turning even when you're dragging the truck with the front two wheels. It's probably either the shaft, wasted carrier bearings, or the pinion bearings. If it's got more than 60,000 miles I'm leaning towards carrier bearings. Carrier bearings quickly ruin pinion bearings.

3. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

maybe the output ( either bushing or bearing ) on the Tcase is wornout cauing some play...Friend had a 89 truck with that problem.

4. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

My Jimmy vibrates @ 60-65mph and it's caused by the front driveshaft.I pull it off and the vibe's are gone.Why?,no clue.If your's quit when driven in 4x4,could be the front shaft since it's being used(under load)and not free wheelin.Just a thought.GOD Bless,jtpepper