Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vibration when coasting at highway speed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by basketcase, Oct 20, 2005.

1. basketcase

basketcase Registered Member

My 90 v1500 sub has had a slight vibration when coasting since i got it in april 04, but last night i noticed that it is much worse. when i let off the gas at 65-70 mph i feel a vibration from the rear that feels like riding on the rumble strips on the shoulder! i am kind of thinking u joints, anything else that could do this? the truck has 4" blocks in the back 700r4 and 10 bolts(yuck).

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If you put it in neutral, does the vibration stop?

3. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Does it only happen at speeds around 65-70? It could just be a slightly out of balance tire. Check your u-joint, if it checks out fine then you need to shim your pinion up more.

4. basketcase

vibration coutinues in drive or neutral, it does still vibrate at lower speeds, but nowhere near as badly

5. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or from the rear of the vehicle?
    if it is coming from the front it could be wheel bearings or upper/lower ball joints.If the u-joints check out then it might be the pinion bearing :doah:
    The only small item that wouldn't cost much to check would be to have the driveshaft rebalanced.Hope this helps a little.

6. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

My vote is a bad u joint.

Crawl under it in park and twist the drive shaft side to side. if there is any play the joints are shot. $25 at auto zone and 1/2 hour of time you will be fine.

Good luck.

7. basketcase

seems to be coming from the rear, i think. the front bearings are only a few months old.

8. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

I had something similar last year. For me it was the drivesaft out of balance and it wasted the pinion bearing. The guy who fixed it said I was lucky

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ditto.

10. basketcase

how can I tell if the pinion bearing is bad? Is it easy to change? the joints seemed tight when I twisted on the shaft, but I'm tempted to change them anyway. any idea what a driveshaft shop would charge to change the joints and balance the shaft?

11. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

It cost me 75$ to have my driveshaft balanced but I had the diff shop send it to the driveshaft shop to do it so I am sure it got marked up in somewhere.
    My guess is it would cost you around 100 to 120 for them to balance the shaft and swap out u joints. They can also check your pinion bearing too.

Tim