Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Vibration when I let off the gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crroy71, Jun 30, 2002.

1. crroy71

crroy71 Registered Member

I have got a vibration (sounds like a helicopter is overhead) when I let off the gas at highway speeds. It does it at all speeds, I am thinking u-joints (not real sure though). Is there any way to check them?
    Thanks,

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like ujoint to me as well crawl under and try turning your driveline by hand back and forth front and rear of the drive line and you should see if they are bad also you need to park on leavel ground and have it out of gear to do this if you have it in gear it will bind and you wont be able to move the drive line but please chock the tires befor crawling under your truck

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You can also drive it a while then feel the u-joint for excessive heat, if it's hot as hell then the needle bearings are on the way out and you should replace it immediately /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

either the joints... or the angle your shafts are operating at is to much for the joints and you need a trick shaft. You didn't say whether or not you lifted your rig recently so...

J

5. crroy71

crroy71 Registered Member

I bought all new u-joints, for front and back shafts, and the wheel joints. Figured while I'm under there I might as well do it all. Any tips or tricks on changing any of them?
    I am also thinking of changing the front wheel bearings while I'm at it, how do I tell if they are good or bad?
    Thanks,